Red Sox pregame notes: Mike Carp returns; Shane Victorino to start rehab assignment; Sox ‘remain committed’ to Xander Bogaerts
|07.07.14 at 7:57 pm ET|
Just two days after hitting a game-winning bloop single, Jonathan Herrera was optioned to Pawtucket to make room for Mike Carp, who comes off the disabled list after a broken foot sidelined him for a month.
Carp has been on a rehab assignment with the PawSox. During his time in Triple-A, Carp went 5-for-21 with a double and a home run, with four of the hits (and both extra-base hits) coming in his last two games. Red Sox manager John Farrell said that Carp will resume his role as a left-handed bat off the bench in pinch-hit situations while also giving the Sox options at first base and left field.
“He fits the role to a tee, the utility role,” Farrell said. “It was a difficult conversation. He’s a quality person, quality player, stayed prepared and contributed when asked in the role that he was in. He occupied a role that was difficult. He sat for seven or eight days and then to play to the efficiency that he did, we clearly viewed him as a major league player and I would suspect that he would be back with us at some point this season.”
With Herrera no longer on the 25-man roster, Farrell said Brock Holt represents the utility jack-of-all-trades option. The manager added that Mookie Betts is working out solely in the outfield in pregame work, and would not be a consideration for shortstop (a position that Betts last played in Lowell in 2012).
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— Starter Rubby De La Rosa was pulled out of his start after one inning on Sunday, an early exit that Farrell said was indeed related to the Red Sox‘ need for a starter from Triple-A on Wednesday.
“[De La Rosa] and [Anthony] Ranaudo have been throwing the ball well there,” Farrell said. “Rubby was shortened up for the specific purpose of being a candidate for Wednesday.”
— Shane Victorino will begin a new rehab assignment with Single-A Lowell on Wednesday. Victorino took batting practice with the team on Monday. Victorino was on track to return at the end of June but lower-back soreness halted those plans.
— Farrell reiterated his commitment to shortstop Xander Bogaerts. Despite the 21-year-old’s struggles at the plate over the last month, Farrell waved off a question about how the team decides whether he’s best served to address his struggles in the big leagues or Triple-A.
“We’ve been very strong and clear with Xander that we’re committed to him,” Farrell said. “Over the past couple of days, it appears to me in the batter’s box that getting ready on time has been more consistent. Even two days ago on game one, there was three strikeouts there, but there was an earlier load. He got himself in a better position to hit pitches more consistently. It started to show yesterday with some good swings even though it’s a bloop base hit and it’s a double off the wall.”
Sending Bogaerts down to Pawtucket is not an option at the moment according to Farrell.
“This is a long-term player for us,” Farrell said. “We’re not going to abandon someone because there are some growing pains along the way.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens