John Farrell on David Ortiz: ‘It’s unfortunate that innuendo continues to follow him’
|07.08.14 at 5:06 pm ET|
Ortiz reacted strongly Monday to claims that he was given a “free pass” for appearing on a list of major leaguers to test positive for PEDs in a 2003 report, telling WEEI.com, “You don’t get no free pass here, especially a guy like me. I don’t get no free pass. That free pass B.S. that they want to talk about over there, they can shove it up their [expletive].”
Farrell backed his slugger.
“The 2003 test I think that’s being referred to, I don’t know how many times David has been tested since then, whatever that number is I’m sure it’s a very high one,” Farrell said Tuesday. “He’s tested clean every single time. It’s unfortunate that the innuendo continues to follow him. He’s a heck of a player, one hell of a hitter and there’s no reason other than hard work and talent that’s produced that.”
Ortiz was brought into a conversation that began with John Lackey expressing his issues with Orioles slugger Nelson Cruz following his PED suspension last season. Baltimore manager Buck Showalter responded to Lackey’s comments by saying, “We need to all make sure we check our own backyard before we start looking at someone else’s.” Those comments led to a conversation on MLB Network that sparked Ortiz’s protest.
When asked if there’s a way erase that innuendo following Ortiz, Farrell said, “It’s going to be dependent on who’s asked the question.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.