John Farrell on David Ortiz: ‘It’s unfortunate that innuendo continues to follow him’
|07.08.14 at 5:06 pm ET|
Ortiz reacted strongly Monday to claims that he was given a “free pass” for appearing on a list of major leaguers to test positive for PEDs in a 2003 report, telling WEEI.com, “You don’t get no free pass here, especially a guy like me. I don’t get no free pass. That free pass B.S. that they want to talk about over there, they can shove it up their [expletive].”
Farrell backed his slugger.
“The 2003 test I think that’s being referred to, I don’t know how many times David has been tested since then, whatever that number is I’m sure it’s a very high one,” Farrell said Tuesday. “He’s tested clean every single time. It’s unfortunate that the innuendo continues to follow him. He’s a heck of a player, one hell of a hitter and there’s no reason other than hard work and talent that’s produced that.”
Ortiz was brought into a conversation that began with John Lackey expressing his issues with Orioles slugger Nelson Cruz following his PED suspension last season. Baltimore manager Buck Showalter responded to Lackey’s comments by saying, “We need to all make sure we check our own backyard before we start looking at someone else’s.” Those comments led to a conversation on MLB Network that sparked Ortiz’s protest.
When asked if there’s a way erase that innuendo following Ortiz, Farrell said, “It’s going to be dependent on who’s asked the question.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech