Red Sox designate A.J. Pierzynski for assignment, call up Christian Vazquez
|07.09.14 at 2:57 pm ET|
The Red Sox have designated A.J. Pierzynski for assignment, manager John Farrell confirmed to Dale & Holley Wednesday afternoon. In a corresponding move, the team has called up Christian Vazquez, who will get the start behind the plate Wednesday night.
“It’s at that point in the season where you start to look to invest in young players and take advantage of the games remaining for us,” Farrell said. “We look to players who might be here beyond this season, and in that case it’s Christian Vazquez.”
Pierzynski has posted a .254/.286/.348 line with four home runs and 31 RBIs this season. The team had signed him to a one-year, $8.25 million deal before the season.
Pierzynski’s designation opens up a spot for Vazquez, considered one of the organization’s top prospects. In 66 games in Pawtucket this season, Vazquez has posted a .279/.336/.385 line with three homers and 20 RBIs. His best asset, however, is his defense, which is viewed as potentially Gold Glove-caliber. He’d thrown out 40 percent of would-be base stealers this year.
Farrell said the move has nothing to do with any character issues involving Pierzynski, but instead is simply a move to give a younger player a shot.
“No, not at all,” Farrell said when asked about any personality issues. “This has been a matter of us taking a look internally at, what are the players we’re going to continue to build forward with? And we’ve started with what’s taken place behind the plate.
“We’re turning the page in terms of investing in young players. … I wouldn’t say that the white flag is being waved, because inside our clubhouse, I can honestly tell you that feeling does not exist.”
Some background on Vazquez:
Christian Vazquez thinks he’s ready (July 2014)
Future bet with Christian Vazquez and Mookie Betts (podcast, June 2014)
How catchers Christian Vazquez and Dan Butler forced their way to prospect status (podcast, March 2014)
The making of Christian Vazquez, Catching prospect (March 2013)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven