Thursday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Jon Lester vs. Jose Quintana
|07.10.14 at 9:44 am ET|
Lester (9-7, 2.73 ERA) will make his final start with the Red Sox before going to the All-Star Game next week. The left-hander certainly has pitched like an All-Star as of late. He hasn’t allowed an earned run over 16 innings in his last two outings and has made seven quality starts in his last eight games, going 5-1 with a 1.65 ERA in that span.
Lester dominated the Orioles in his most recent outing on Saturday. He gave up two unearned runs on five hits and no walks with seven strikeouts over eight innings on 118 pitches.
“I feel good. My fastball command has been pretty good,” Lester said after the game. “I feel like I’ve gotten the consistency back with my cutter — which has been helpful at times, just getting it in on righties. All in all, I’m moving the ball around pretty well. I’m keeping it down, keeping the ball on the ground. The base hits today were a couple on the ground, a couple that just got over the infielders’ heads. I’ll take that all day.”
Thursday will be Lester’s second start of the season against the White Sox. He dominated Chicago with eight strong innings April 17 in a 3-1 Red Sox win. Lester limited the White Sox to one run on seven hits and had nine strikeouts. He’s 5-5 with a 4.93 ERA in 11 career starts against Chicago.
Quintana (5-7, 3.20 ERA) hasn’t gotten the results in the win-loss column, but the Colombian lefty has proven to be a reliable arm for the White Sox this season. He’s allowed two runs or fewer in 12 of his 18 starts, including in the last four outings. Quintana is 2-0 with a 0.94 ERA in his last four starts. He has 31 strikeouts to seven walks in that span.
Quintana outdueled Mariners ace Felix Hernandez in his last start on Saturday, but a lack of run support forced him to take a no-decision. He had a season-high 10 strikeouts in a shutout performance over 7 2/3 innings. He threw 75 of his 109 pitches for strikes.
If Quintana is going to continue this run of success against any team, it’ll likely be against the Red Sox. He’s shut out the Sox in both of his career starts against them, including a win in his most recent outing on May 21, 2013. He held the Red Sox to three hits and two walks over 6 1/3 innings for a 3-1 White Sox win.
White Sox vs. Lester (LHP)
Paul Konerko (32 plate appearances): .357 AVG/.438 OBP/.786 SLG, 3 HR, 3 doubles, 7 RBIs, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts
Alexei Ramirez (30): .214/.267/.286, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Alejandro De Aza (15): .286/.333/.571, 4 doubles, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Adam Dunn (15): .273/.467/.545, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
Dayan Viciedo (15): .333/.333/.600, 1 HR, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Gordon Beckham (14): .167/.286/.417, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Tyler Flowers (9): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (9): .000/.222/.000, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adam Eaton (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Leury Garcia (3): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Quintana (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (6 plate appearances): .167 AVG/.167 OBP/.167 SLG, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/.333
Stephen Drew is hitless in two career plate appearances.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller