All-Star pitcher Jeff Samardzija thought he might be a New England Patriot
|07.15.14 at 3:29 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — It’s worked out pretty well for Athletics pitcher Jeff Samardzija.
The All-Star righty — who was just recently traded from his first professional team, the Cubs — has carved a nice seven-year big league career to date, currently totaling a 2.78 ERA in 19 starts this season.
But, as he recalled, the path could have very easily led him to Foxboro instead of Wrigley.
Samardzija was a highly-touted two-sport athlete at Notre Dame, playing wide receiver for the Irish along with his stint as a pitcher for the school’s baseball team. He was so good that most viewed the 6-foot-5 wideout as a first-round pick in the 2007 NFL draft if he chose to go that route.
With the connection of former Patriots offensive coordinator/then-Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis, some dots were being connected as the ’06 college season wound down.
“Well, Charlie Weis was the offensive coordinator for the Patriots for their Super Bowl runs for a number of years, so he just brought the whole Patriots offense to Notre Dame and we started running that for a couple of years,” Samardzjia said. “Where I was projected to go in the draft was a little earlier than where the Patriots were picking, obviously their perennial 30, 31, 32 pick. I was hoping to be a little before that.
“The word from coach and other guys was that they were going to try and trade up to try and get me based on the fact it would be a seamless transition into their offense considering I already ran it. That was about all I heard, but obviously it never got to that point.”
Having been drafted by the Cubs in the fifth round of the ’06 MLB draft, resulting in a five-year deal with Chicago, Samardzija told every NFL team not to bother drafting him in ’07. The result was a solid career in baseball, and the Patriots picking Brandon Meriweather with the 24th overall selection.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo