American League celebrates Derek Jeter with All-Star Game win
|07.15.14 at 11:36 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — Game 1 will be back in the American League city.
Winning the MVP was Mike Trout (2-for-3), despite Derek Jeter claiming a pair of hits on his night.
The American League jumped on the board with three runs in the first inning off of National League starter Adam Wainwright, who allowed an RBI triple to Trout and a two-run homer off the bat of Miguel Cabrera. In 19 starts this season, the St. Louis righty has allowed just four earned runs in the opening frame.
Wainwright kicked things off by admittedly grooving a fastball to leadoff hitter Derek Jeter, who took advantage of the offering by notching a leadoff double. (“I was going to give him a couple of pipe shots,” Wainwright said. “He deserved it.”)
Jeter, who was replaced by AL manager John Farrell before a pitch could be thrown in the top of the fourth, also singled. The double was Jeter’s first extra-base hit in the All-Star Game since 2001, and marked the third time he came away with multiple hits in the game.
Jeter finishes his All-Star run with a .481 batting average (13-for-27), ranking fifth all-time of any player with a minimum of 10 at-bats.
Trout’s fifth-inning RBI double put the American League ahead for good. He finished with a pair of hits, joining Jeter and Aramis Ramirez as the only All-Stars with multiple hits.
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara struck out Cincinnati’s Devin Mesoraco on four pitches, his only batter of the night, to end the sixth inning.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo