American League celebrates Derek Jeter with All-Star Game win
|07.15.14 at 11:36 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — Game 1 will be back in the American League city.
Winning the MVP was Mike Trout (2-for-3), despite Derek Jeter claiming a pair of hits on his night.
The American League jumped on the board with three runs in the first inning off of National League starter Adam Wainwright, who allowed an RBI triple to Trout and a two-run homer off the bat of Miguel Cabrera. In 19 starts this season, the St. Louis righty has allowed just four earned runs in the opening frame.
Wainwright kicked things off by admittedly grooving a fastball to leadoff hitter Derek Jeter, who took advantage of the offering by notching a leadoff double. (“I was going to give him a couple of pipe shots,” Wainwright said. “He deserved it.”)
Jeter, who was replaced by AL manager John Farrell before a pitch could be thrown in the top of the fourth, also singled. The double was Jeter’s first extra-base hit in the All-Star Game since 2001, and marked the third time he came away with multiple hits in the game.
Jeter finishes his All-Star run with a .481 batting average (13-for-27), ranking fifth all-time of any player with a minimum of 10 at-bats.
Trout’s fifth-inning RBI double put the American League ahead for good. He finished with a pair of hits, joining Jeter and Aramis Ramirez as the only All-Stars with multiple hits.
Red Sox closer Koji Uehara struck out Cincinnati’s Devin Mesoraco on four pitches, his only batter of the night, to end the sixth inning.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade