Red Sox minor league roundup: Blake Swihart dominating behind, at plate; Yoan Aybar turning heads
|07.15.14 at 1:46 pm ET|
A brief look at the action in the Red Sox farm system on Monday:
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX: OFF DAY
DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: 6-2 WIN VS. NEW HAMPSHIRE (BLUE JAYS)
— Catcher Blake Swihart went 2-for-4 with a double and a strikeout while also gunning down the lone runner who attempted to steal on him. In addition to a robust .296/.351/.485 offensive line with 32 extra-base hits in 77 games; he had 38 extra-base hits in 103 games last year in Salem.
But perhaps even more intriguing is the progress Swihart has made in controlling the running game. He has thrown out 27 of 50 runners attempting to steal against him this year — an astounding 54 percent. No other qualifying catcher in the Eastern League has a mark better than 47 percent. He’s gone from a 31 percent success rate in Single-A Greenville in 2012 to a 42 percent caught stealing rate in 2013 with High-A Salem to this year’s shutdown mark.
— Third baseman Michael Almanzar snapped a three-game, 0-for-9 stretch by going 2-for-3 with a double and walk. In 14 games since the 23-year-old returned to the Sox organization from the Orioles (who had selected him in the Rule 5 draft), Almanzar has hit .273/.373/.386 with three extra-base hits.
HIGH-A SALEM RED SOX: RAINED OUT AT WILMINGTON (ROYALS)
SINGLE-A GREENVILLE DRIVE: OFF DAY
SHORT-SEASON SINGLE-A LOWELL SPINNERS: 8-5 WIN VS. MAHONING VALLEY (INDIANS)
— Nick Moore, 22, went 2-for-5, smashing a pair of homers to give him three roundtrippers on the year. Moore, a former football player, is a massive switch-hitter with plenty of raw power that has rarely translated to his professional career, and he’s exhibited extreme swing-and-miss tendencies (with 21 strikeouts and just three walks in 65 plate appearances this year). But when he does get a pitch, it goes.
— Rehabbing right-hander Ty Buttrey (who pitched well in Lowell last year, got off to a rough start this year in Greenville with 16 runs allowed in 11 1/3 innings, then broke his hand) tossed four no-hit innings, walking two and striking out four.
— Center fielder Danny Mars continues to hit. He notched his third straight multi-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a steal. The 20-year-old sixth-rounder is hitting .390/.446/.576 with seven extra-base hits in 14 games.
ROOKIE LEVEL GULF COAST LEAGUE RED SOX: RAINED OUT VS. GCL ORIOLES
DOMINICAN SUMMER LEAGUE RED SOX: 6-4 LOSS AT DSL METS
— Outfielder Yoan Aybar went 2-for-4 with a triple, a strikeout and a steal. The 17-year-old now has five triples and 14-extra-base hits in 28 games, showing a head-turning ability to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and lining balls to the gaps. In 11 games this month, Aybar is hitting .359/.422/.718 with nine extra-base hits in 11 games, driving the ball with consistency that, in tandem with his impressive athleticism and projectable frame, suggest a very intriguing prospect at the start of his pro career.
— Catcher/third baseman Roldani Baldwin went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles. The 18-year-old has reached base in each of his last 10 games, hitting .343/.465/.457 during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016