Red Sox minor league roundup: Blake Swihart dominating behind, at plate; Yoan Aybar turning heads
|07.15.14 at 1:46 pm ET|
A brief look at the action in the Red Sox farm system on Monday:
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX: OFF DAY
DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: 6-2 WIN VS. NEW HAMPSHIRE (BLUE JAYS)
— Catcher Blake Swihart went 2-for-4 with a double and a strikeout while also gunning down the lone runner who attempted to steal on him. In addition to a robust .296/.351/.485 offensive line with 32 extra-base hits in 77 games; he had 38 extra-base hits in 103 games last year in Salem.
But perhaps even more intriguing is the progress Swihart has made in controlling the running game. He has thrown out 27 of 50 runners attempting to steal against him this year — an astounding 54 percent. No other qualifying catcher in the Eastern League has a mark better than 47 percent. He’s gone from a 31 percent success rate in Single-A Greenville in 2012 to a 42 percent caught stealing rate in 2013 with High-A Salem to this year’s shutdown mark.
— Third baseman Michael Almanzar snapped a three-game, 0-for-9 stretch by going 2-for-3 with a double and walk. In 14 games since the 23-year-old returned to the Sox organization from the Orioles (who had selected him in the Rule 5 draft), Almanzar has hit .273/.373/.386 with three extra-base hits.
HIGH-A SALEM RED SOX: RAINED OUT AT WILMINGTON (ROYALS)
SINGLE-A GREENVILLE DRIVE: OFF DAY
SHORT-SEASON SINGLE-A LOWELL SPINNERS: 8-5 WIN VS. MAHONING VALLEY (INDIANS)
— Nick Moore, 22, went 2-for-5, smashing a pair of homers to give him three roundtrippers on the year. Moore, a former football player, is a massive switch-hitter with plenty of raw power that has rarely translated to his professional career, and he’s exhibited extreme swing-and-miss tendencies (with 21 strikeouts and just three walks in 65 plate appearances this year). But when he does get a pitch, it goes.
— Rehabbing right-hander Ty Buttrey (who pitched well in Lowell last year, got off to a rough start this year in Greenville with 16 runs allowed in 11 1/3 innings, then broke his hand) tossed four no-hit innings, walking two and striking out four.
— Center fielder Danny Mars continues to hit. He notched his third straight multi-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a steal. The 20-year-old sixth-rounder is hitting .390/.446/.576 with seven extra-base hits in 14 games.
ROOKIE LEVEL GULF COAST LEAGUE RED SOX: RAINED OUT VS. GCL ORIOLES
DOMINICAN SUMMER LEAGUE RED SOX: 6-4 LOSS AT DSL METS
— Outfielder Yoan Aybar went 2-for-4 with a triple, a strikeout and a steal. The 17-year-old now has five triples and 14-extra-base hits in 28 games, showing a head-turning ability to get the barrel of the bat on the ball and lining balls to the gaps. In 11 games this month, Aybar is hitting .359/.422/.718 with nine extra-base hits in 11 games, driving the ball with consistency that, in tandem with his impressive athleticism and projectable frame, suggest a very intriguing prospect at the start of his pro career.
— Catcher/third baseman Roldani Baldwin went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles. The 18-year-old has reached base in each of his last 10 games, hitting .343/.465/.457 during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller