Red Sox acquire LHP Ryan Verdugo from Royals
|07.16.14 at 5:58 pm ET|
The Royals announced that they’ve traded left-handed pitching Ryan Verdugo to the Red Sox for cash considerations. Verdugo, 27, has made one big league appearance in seven professional seasons, allowing six runs in 1 2/3 innings in a start in 2012.
After opening the year on the sidelines for six-plus weeks due to a sports hernia, he’d made nine starts this year for Kansas City’s Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, going 5-2 with a 4.24 ERA, 8.5 strikeouts and 2.7 walks per nine innings. He’d been effective against both lefties (.216/.326/.324) and righties (.231/.279/.377) while working with a fastball around 90 mph, a solid changeup and slider.
Verdugo, who is not on the 40-man roster, is expected to be assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket with the versatility to offer left-handed bullpen or starting depth. The former LSU pitcher (who was teammates for a year with Anthony Ranaudo) does have options left if eventually added to the 40-man roster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller