Red Sox acquire LHP Ryan Verdugo from Royals
|07.16.14 at 5:58 pm ET|
The Royals announced that they’ve traded left-handed pitching Ryan Verdugo to the Red Sox for cash considerations. Verdugo, 27, has made one big league appearance in seven professional seasons, allowing six runs in 1 2/3 innings in a start in 2012.
After opening the year on the sidelines for six-plus weeks due to a sports hernia, he’d made nine starts this year for Kansas City’s Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, going 5-2 with a 4.24 ERA, 8.5 strikeouts and 2.7 walks per nine innings. He’d been effective against both lefties (.216/.326/.324) and righties (.231/.279/.377) while working with a fastball around 90 mph, a solid changeup and slider.
Verdugo, who is not on the 40-man roster, is expected to be assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket with the versatility to offer left-handed bullpen or starting depth. The former LSU pitcher (who was teammates for a year with Anthony Ranaudo) does have options left if eventually added to the 40-man roster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory