Red Sox acquire LHP Ryan Verdugo from Royals
|07.16.14 at 5:58 pm ET|
The Royals announced that they’ve traded left-handed pitching Ryan Verdugo to the Red Sox for cash considerations. Verdugo, 27, has made one big league appearance in seven professional seasons, allowing six runs in 1 2/3 innings in a start in 2012.
After opening the year on the sidelines for six-plus weeks due to a sports hernia, he’d made nine starts this year for Kansas City’s Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, going 5-2 with a 4.24 ERA, 8.5 strikeouts and 2.7 walks per nine innings. He’d been effective against both lefties (.216/.326/.324) and righties (.231/.279/.377) while working with a fastball around 90 mph, a solid changeup and slider.
Verdugo, who is not on the 40-man roster, is expected to be assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket with the versatility to offer left-handed bullpen or starting depth. The former LSU pitcher (who was teammates for a year with Anthony Ranaudo) does have options left if eventually added to the 40-man roster.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville