Red Sox minor league roundup: Shane Victorino’s step forward; Alex Hassan scorching
|07.18.14 at 3:20 pm ET|
A (very) brief look at the action in the Red Sox minor league system on Thursday:
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX: 5-2 WIN VS. BUFFALO (BLUE JAYS)
— Right fielder Shane Victorino played a full nine innings for the first time in this rehab assignment while also collecting his first hits, going 2-for-4 and scoring a pair of runs. The Sox want to see Victorino play nine innings in back-to-back games before activating him, and so Friday’s contest will represent a key marker in his rehab.
— Left-hander Drake Britton had one of his best outings in months, earning the save with a perfect ninth inning that included a pair of strikeouts. After a stretch of five straight outings without a strikeout, Britton now has four strikeouts in his last two outings spanning three innings.
— Left fielder Alex Hassan went 2-for-3 with a homer and a walk, Since returning to Pawtucket from the big leagues, he’s looked like a big leaguer playing against Triple-A competition, leading the International League in average (.375) and OBP (.457) while slugging .643 with four homers and 21 extra-base hits in 30 games. For the year, he’s now hitting .284/.377/.447.
DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: 3-2 LOSS AT NEW HAMPSHIRE (BLUE JAYS)
— Right-hander Luis Diaz allowed two runs in five innings while punching out seven. He allowed seven hits (including a solo homer and double) while walking two. In his last three starts, the 22-year-old has punched out 22 in 17 2/3 innings — a sharp contrast to the 11 punchouts he accumulated in his first three Double-A starts, which spanned 20 innings. He’s allowed two or fewer runs in five of his six starts with Portland, and he’s walked two or fewer in each of his six outings. Diaz is 3-2 with a 2.63 ERA in Double-A and 9-5 with a 3.08 overall between Salem and Portland.
— Michael Almanzar drove in a pair of runs for the second straight day, going 1-for-4 with a homer. Even as the 23-year-old works to regain his timing following a three-month stretch in a Rule 5 twilight zone of virtual inactivity (9 games) in the Orioles system, he’s made some immediate impact, hitting .271/.364/.438.
HIGH-A SALEM RED SOX: 5-3 LOSS VS. FREDERICK (ORIOLES)
— Right-hander Pat Light saw his streak of three straight excellent outings come to a halt, allowing five runs on eight hits and three walks in five innings. Light struck out two and got eight outs on the ground. Prior to Thursday, he’d allowed two earned runs in 17 innings over his previous three starts.
— Carson Blair went 1-for-4 with a triple, extending his streak of consecutive games reaching base by hit or walk to 27. If the catcher had enough plate appearances to qualify, his .402 OBP would rank second in the Carolina League.
SINGLE-A GREENVILLE DRIVE: 6-4 LOSS AT ROME (BRAVES)
— Right-hander Jake Dahlstrand, working in the piggyback starter role, allowed one unearned run on two hits and a walk while punching out four in three innings. In his last seven appearances, the 22-year-old has allowed one or no earned runs, forging a 0.71 ERA in that time.
— Manuel Margot has been sidelined with knee soreness and is considered day-to-day.
SHORT-SEASON SINGLE-A LOWELL SPINNERS: 4-3 LOSS AT BATAVIA (MARLINS)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins