Red Sox minor league roundup: Shane Victorino’s step forward; Alex Hassan scorching
|07.18.14 at 3:20 pm ET|
A (very) brief look at the action in the Red Sox minor league system on Thursday:
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX: 5-2 WIN VS. BUFFALO (BLUE JAYS)
— Right fielder Shane Victorino played a full nine innings for the first time in this rehab assignment while also collecting his first hits, going 2-for-4 and scoring a pair of runs. The Sox want to see Victorino play nine innings in back-to-back games before activating him, and so Friday’s contest will represent a key marker in his rehab.
— Left-hander Drake Britton had one of his best outings in months, earning the save with a perfect ninth inning that included a pair of strikeouts. After a stretch of five straight outings without a strikeout, Britton now has four strikeouts in his last two outings spanning three innings.
— Left fielder Alex Hassan went 2-for-3 with a homer and a walk, Since returning to Pawtucket from the big leagues, he’s looked like a big leaguer playing against Triple-A competition, leading the International League in average (.375) and OBP (.457) while slugging .643 with four homers and 21 extra-base hits in 30 games. For the year, he’s now hitting .284/.377/.447.
DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: 3-2 LOSS AT NEW HAMPSHIRE (BLUE JAYS)
— Right-hander Luis Diaz allowed two runs in five innings while punching out seven. He allowed seven hits (including a solo homer and double) while walking two. In his last three starts, the 22-year-old has punched out 22 in 17 2/3 innings — a sharp contrast to the 11 punchouts he accumulated in his first three Double-A starts, which spanned 20 innings. He’s allowed two or fewer runs in five of his six starts with Portland, and he’s walked two or fewer in each of his six outings. Diaz is 3-2 with a 2.63 ERA in Double-A and 9-5 with a 3.08 overall between Salem and Portland.
— Michael Almanzar drove in a pair of runs for the second straight day, going 1-for-4 with a homer. Even as the 23-year-old works to regain his timing following a three-month stretch in a Rule 5 twilight zone of virtual inactivity (9 games) in the Orioles system, he’s made some immediate impact, hitting .271/.364/.438.
HIGH-A SALEM RED SOX: 5-3 LOSS VS. FREDERICK (ORIOLES)
— Right-hander Pat Light saw his streak of three straight excellent outings come to a halt, allowing five runs on eight hits and three walks in five innings. Light struck out two and got eight outs on the ground. Prior to Thursday, he’d allowed two earned runs in 17 innings over his previous three starts.
— Carson Blair went 1-for-4 with a triple, extending his streak of consecutive games reaching base by hit or walk to 27. If the catcher had enough plate appearances to qualify, his .402 OBP would rank second in the Carolina League.
SINGLE-A GREENVILLE DRIVE: 6-4 LOSS AT ROME (BRAVES)
— Right-hander Jake Dahlstrand, working in the piggyback starter role, allowed one unearned run on two hits and a walk while punching out four in three innings. In his last seven appearances, the 22-year-old has allowed one or no earned runs, forging a 0.71 ERA in that time.
— Manuel Margot has been sidelined with knee soreness and is considered day-to-day.
SHORT-SEASON SINGLE-A LOWELL SPINNERS: 4-3 LOSS AT BATAVIA (MARLINS)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster