Why Stephen Drew doesn’t wear glasses anymore
|07.22.14 at 7:47 pm ET|
TORONTO — Much was made after Game 6 of the World Series (besides the fact that Red Sox won a championship) regarding Stephen Drew using contact lenses for that final game of the season. He hit a home run, so that seemed like a logical explanation for the offensive slump he endured throughout the postseason.
So when Drew started out this season wearing glasses, it appeared a perfectly acceptable transition into a new look for the shortstop.
But during his recent upswing at the plate, Drew hasn’t been wearing those glasses. In fact, he hasn’t even been wearing contacts.
Here’s the deal …
A few weeks back Drew’s glasses were scratched so he went back to contacts. The problem was that after having Lasik eye surgery eight years ago, the contact lenses would dry out his eyes, creating further issues.
Finally, in the past few weeks, Drew has found a suitable solution.
As long as he keeps his eyes moist there really aren’t any eyesight issues to deal with, so before each at-bat he uses eye drops. As has been evident over the five games entering Tuesday night, with Drew hitting .412 (7-for-17) with a home run and five walks.
“I think Stephen Drew the last five or seven games is back to the level of production we anticipated,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell before Tuesday’s game at Rogers Centre. “He’s in a pretty good place right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas