Why Stephen Drew doesn’t wear glasses anymore
|07.22.14 at 7:47 pm ET|
TORONTO — Much was made after Game 6 of the World Series (besides the fact that Red Sox won a championship) regarding Stephen Drew using contact lenses for that final game of the season. He hit a home run, so that seemed like a logical explanation for the offensive slump he endured throughout the postseason.
So when Drew started out this season wearing glasses, it appeared a perfectly acceptable transition into a new look for the shortstop.
But during his recent upswing at the plate, Drew hasn’t been wearing those glasses. In fact, he hasn’t even been wearing contacts.
Here’s the deal …
A few weeks back Drew’s glasses were scratched so he went back to contacts. The problem was that after having Lasik eye surgery eight years ago, the contact lenses would dry out his eyes, creating further issues.
Finally, in the past few weeks, Drew has found a suitable solution.
As long as he keeps his eyes moist there really aren’t any eyesight issues to deal with, so before each at-bat he uses eye drops. As has been evident over the five games entering Tuesday night, with Drew hitting .412 (7-for-17) with a home run and five walks.
“I think Stephen Drew the last five or seven games is back to the level of production we anticipated,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell before Tuesday’s game at Rogers Centre. “He’s in a pretty good place right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles