Closing Time: Clay Buchholz, Red Sox can’t hold off Blue Jays
|07.23.14 at 9:46 pm ET|
TORONTO — So much for momentum.
Things were looking downright rosy for the Red Sox in the first inning of their Wednesday night tilt with the Blue Jays. David Ortiz launched a three-run homer against Toronto starter R.A. Dickey, giving the visitors a three-run lead before the Jays could even get an at-bat.
The good times for the Red Sox, however, quickly were derailed.
The Jays also scored three times in the first inning, and then came back to take the lead for good with two runs in the sixth inning. The end result was the Red Sox‘ second straight loss at Rogers Centre, this time a 6-4 decision.
The eventual winning run for the Jays came when third baseman Xander Bogaerts threw away what appeared to be an inning-ending grounder off the bat of Jose Reyes in the sixth. The miscue allowed the Blue Jays to score the eventual winning run against the Sox and starter Clay Buchholz, who took his sixth loss of the season (5-6).
Buchholz finished his six innings giving up five runs (four earned), striking out one and walking four. Andrew Miller surrendered a run in relief while pitching the seventh.
The Red Sox finished the night going just 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position, with Jackie Bradley stranding three runners while going 0-for-4.
Daniel Nava joined Bogaerts as the only two Red Sox to claim multiple hits. It was Bogaerts’ fifth-inning double that plated Nava, briefly reclaiming the lead for the Sox.
Ortiz’s home run set a record for most home runs by a visiting player at Rogers Centre (37).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs