Closing Time: Clay Buchholz, Red Sox can’t hold off Blue Jays
|07.23.14 at 9:46 pm ET|
TORONTO — So much for momentum.
Things were looking downright rosy for the Red Sox in the first inning of their Wednesday night tilt with the Blue Jays. David Ortiz launched a three-run homer against Toronto starter R.A. Dickey, giving the visitors a three-run lead before the Jays could even get an at-bat.
The good times for the Red Sox, however, quickly were derailed.
The Jays also scored three times in the first inning, and then came back to take the lead for good with two runs in the sixth inning. The end result was the Red Sox‘ second straight loss at Rogers Centre, this time a 6-4 decision.
The eventual winning run for the Jays came when third baseman Xander Bogaerts threw away what appeared to be an inning-ending grounder off the bat of Jose Reyes in the sixth. The miscue allowed the Blue Jays to score the eventual winning run against the Sox and starter Clay Buchholz, who took his sixth loss of the season (5-6).
Buchholz finished his six innings giving up five runs (four earned), striking out one and walking four. Andrew Miller surrendered a run in relief while pitching the seventh.
The Red Sox finished the night going just 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position, with Jackie Bradley stranding three runners while going 0-for-4.
Daniel Nava joined Bogaerts as the only two Red Sox to claim multiple hits. It was Bogaerts’ fifth-inning double that plated Nava, briefly reclaiming the lead for the Sox.
Ortiz’s home run set a record for most home runs by a visiting player at Rogers Centre (37).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies