Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. R.A. Dickey
|07.23.14 at 8:45 am ET|
Buchholz (5-5, 5.46 ERA) wasn’t at his best in his latest outing last Friday, but he was effective enough to lead the Red Sox to a 5-4 win over the Royals. The right-hander gave up four runs, scattered 10 hits and had three strikeouts over six innings for the win. According to MLB.com, he’s the first Sox starting pitcher to win the last two games the Red Sox have played since Don Schwall in 1961.
“I gave up some loud outs and some loud hits for the first couple of innings, but that’s another team that swings the bat, and they put some balls in play that found some holes and led to a couple of runs,” Buchholz said after the game.
Buchholz is 3-1 with a 3.28 ERA since returning from the disabled list June 25. He’s allowed just one walk to 26 strikeouts in his last five starts.
Buchholz will try to keep this stretch going strong against a Blue Jays team he’s had mixed results against in 2014. He’s 1-1 against Toronto this season, giving up eight runs in 11 2/3 innings.
Buchholz’s last start against the Jays was especially brief. He lasted just 4 2/3 innings at Fenway Park on May 21. He gave up five runs (four earned), nine hits and two walks in a 6-4 Red Sox loss. Buchholz is 10-6 with a 2.71 ERA against the Blue Jays.
After three straight quality starts, Dickey (7-10, 3.95 ERA) struggled in his first outing since the All-Star break last Friday. He gave up five runs on six hits and two home runs over six innings in a 5-1 loss to the Rangers.
Dickey has lost six of his last seven starts. Recently, it’s been thanks in large part to a lack of run support. The Blue Jays have scored just two runs for the righty in his last two starts.
Dickey’s lone start against the Sox was one of his better outings this season. He allowed just one run on five hits with no walks and six strikeouts over 6 1/2 innings in a 7-1 win April 27. Dickey is 3-3 with a 4.85 ERA in six starts and 12 total games against the Sox in his career.
Red Sox vs. Dickey (RHP)
Shane Victorino (27 plate appearances): .240 AVG/.296 OBP/.440 SLG, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (16): .133/.188/.133, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (14): .333/.429/.750, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (12): .364/.417/.545, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (10): .333/.400/.444, 1 double, 1 walk
Jackie Bradley (8): .286/.375/.714, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ross (7): .143/.143/.143, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (6): .200/.167/.200, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (5): .200/.200/.200
Xander Bogaerts (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Brock Holt got a hit in his only plate appearance.
Blue Jays vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Jose Bautista (43 plate appearances): .289 AVG/.349 OBP/.395 SLG, 1 HR, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 11 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (23): .238/.304/.238, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (17): .154/.313/.154, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (16): .357/.438/.500, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Anthony Gose (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dioner Navarro (9): .500/.364/.500, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Munenori Kawasaki (8): .125/.125/.125, 1 strikeout
Juan Francisco (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Dan Johnson (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Darin Mastroianni (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles