Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. R.A. Dickey
|07.23.14 at 8:45 am ET|
Buchholz (5-5, 5.46 ERA) wasn’t at his best in his latest outing last Friday, but he was effective enough to lead the Red Sox to a 5-4 win over the Royals. The right-hander gave up four runs, scattered 10 hits and had three strikeouts over six innings for the win. According to MLB.com, he’s the first Sox starting pitcher to win the last two games the Red Sox have played since Don Schwall in 1961.
“I gave up some loud outs and some loud hits for the first couple of innings, but that’s another team that swings the bat, and they put some balls in play that found some holes and led to a couple of runs,” Buchholz said after the game.
Buchholz is 3-1 with a 3.28 ERA since returning from the disabled list June 25. He’s allowed just one walk to 26 strikeouts in his last five starts.
Buchholz will try to keep this stretch going strong against a Blue Jays team he’s had mixed results against in 2014. He’s 1-1 against Toronto this season, giving up eight runs in 11 2/3 innings.
Buchholz’s last start against the Jays was especially brief. He lasted just 4 2/3 innings at Fenway Park on May 21. He gave up five runs (four earned), nine hits and two walks in a 6-4 Red Sox loss. Buchholz is 10-6 with a 2.71 ERA against the Blue Jays.
After three straight quality starts, Dickey (7-10, 3.95 ERA) struggled in his first outing since the All-Star break last Friday. He gave up five runs on six hits and two home runs over six innings in a 5-1 loss to the Rangers.
Dickey has lost six of his last seven starts. Recently, it’s been thanks in large part to a lack of run support. The Blue Jays have scored just two runs for the righty in his last two starts.
Dickey’s lone start against the Sox was one of his better outings this season. He allowed just one run on five hits with no walks and six strikeouts over 6 1/2 innings in a 7-1 win April 27. Dickey is 3-3 with a 4.85 ERA in six starts and 12 total games against the Sox in his career.
Red Sox vs. Dickey (RHP)
Shane Victorino (27 plate appearances): .240 AVG/.296 OBP/.440 SLG, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (16): .133/.188/.133, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (14): .333/.429/.750, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (12): .364/.417/.545, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (10): .333/.400/.444, 1 double, 1 walk
Jackie Bradley (8): .286/.375/.714, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ross (7): .143/.143/.143, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (6): .200/.167/.200, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (5): .200/.200/.200
Xander Bogaerts (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Brock Holt got a hit in his only plate appearance.
Blue Jays vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Jose Bautista (43 plate appearances): .289 AVG/.349 OBP/.395 SLG, 1 HR, 1 double, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 11 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (23): .238/.304/.238, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (17): .154/.313/.154, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (16): .357/.438/.500, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Anthony Gose (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dioner Navarro (9): .500/.364/.500, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Munenori Kawasaki (8): .125/.125/.125, 1 strikeout
Juan Francisco (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Dan Johnson (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Darin Mastroianni (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins