David Ortiz leaves game with back spasms
|07.24.14 at 3:51 pm ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz left Thursday’s 8-0 loss against the Blue Jays in the middle of his ninth-inning at-bat after experiencing what manager John Farrell described to reporters as spasms in his upper-middle back while checking his swing. Ortiz, who hit four homers in the first three games of the series, appeared to suffer the injury while trying to hold up on a pitch from reliever Rob Rasmussen. After a brief conversation with a Sox team trainer and manager John Farrell, he left the game, with Jonny Gomes flying out to left field to end the contest. Farrell characterized Ortiz as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster