David Ortiz leaves game with back spasms
|07.24.14 at 3:51 pm ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz left Thursday’s 8-0 loss against the Blue Jays in the middle of his ninth-inning at-bat after experiencing what manager John Farrell described to reporters as spasms in his upper-middle back while checking his swing. Ortiz, who hit four homers in the first three games of the series, appeared to suffer the injury while trying to hold up on a pitch from reliever Rob Rasmussen. After a brief conversation with a Sox team trainer and manager John Farrell, he left the game, with Jonny Gomes flying out to left field to end the contest. Farrell characterized Ortiz as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division