David Ortiz leaves game with back spasms
|07.24.14 at 3:51 pm ET|
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz left Thursday’s 8-0 loss against the Blue Jays in the middle of his ninth-inning at-bat after experiencing what manager John Farrell described to reporters as spasms in his upper-middle back while checking his swing. Ortiz, who hit four homers in the first three games of the series, appeared to suffer the injury while trying to hold up on a pitch from reliever Rob Rasmussen. After a brief conversation with a Sox team trainer and manager John Farrell, he left the game, with Jonny Gomes flying out to left field to end the contest. Farrell characterized Ortiz as day-to-day.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Red Sox trade Gunkel to Baltimore for De Aza
- May players of the month: Rafael Devers and Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Buttrey stall on a rough night for pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Guerra, Dubon power Greenville in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez debuts for Boston
- Podcast Ep. 75: So, about those pitchers...
- Cup of Coffee: Bradley Jr. still swinging a hot bat, Greenville offense explodes
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada, Mesa lead offensive outburst for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's six perfect innings quiet Louisville's bats
- Cup of Coffee: Buttrey stays unbeaten; Longhi's bat paces Drive