Red Sox say no additional trades imminent
|07.26.14 at 6:29 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Both Red Sox GM Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell said that, in the aftermath of the trade that sent Jake Peavy to the Giants, the team does not anticipate another deal in the immediate future. (That notion of immediacy, of course, is wildly subjective.)
Asked if Peavy signaled another shoe being ready to drop, Farrell disputed the claim.
“I don’t know if I’d put in that type of description,” said Farrell. “There’s nothing imminent, I can tell you that, or even remotely close, to any other deals to be made. But their work and their efforts continue on as everyone in baseball now.”
Cherington said that the team continues to explore whether there might be additional trades, but is not yet at the point of another deal (or deals).
“We’re listening. We’re gathering information as we have been over really the last month or so, and as we get closer to the deadline, it starts to become more clear as to what teams are the most motivated to add in different areas, whether it’s starting pitching or bullpen or position players or whatever. And so we’ll start to get more clarity on exactly what opportunities might be out there for us,” said Cherington. “But we’re not there yet. We’re not closing in on anything yet, but we’re listening and we’ll just see how the rest of the week goes.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players