Red Sox say no additional trades imminent
|07.26.14 at 6:29 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Both Red Sox GM Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell said that, in the aftermath of the trade that sent Jake Peavy to the Giants, the team does not anticipate another deal in the immediate future. (That notion of immediacy, of course, is wildly subjective.)
Asked if Peavy signaled another shoe being ready to drop, Farrell disputed the claim.
“I don’t know if I’d put in that type of description,” said Farrell. “There’s nothing imminent, I can tell you that, or even remotely close, to any other deals to be made. But their work and their efforts continue on as everyone in baseball now.”
Cherington said that the team continues to explore whether there might be additional trades, but is not yet at the point of another deal (or deals).
“We’re listening. We’re gathering information as we have been over really the last month or so, and as we get closer to the deadline, it starts to become more clear as to what teams are the most motivated to add in different areas, whether it’s starting pitching or bullpen or position players or whatever. And so we’ll start to get more clarity on exactly what opportunities might be out there for us,” said Cherington. “But we’re not there yet. We’re not closing in on anything yet, but we’re listening and we’ll just see how the rest of the week goes.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando