David Ortiz fires back at criticism from Rays pitcher Chris Archer
|07.27.14 at 7:58 pm ET|
Your browser does not support iframes.
Ortiz decimated an elevated Chris Archer changeup and sent it rocketing into the far reaches of the right field bleachers in the Tropicana Dome. He admired his work, then flung his bat to punctuate his blast before circling the bases. In an echo of comments made earlier this season by Archer’s teammate, David Price, Archer (a 25-year-old who has appeared in 49 career big league games), suggested that Ortiz acted without a proper sense of decorum.
“I think it was a perfect example of what Price said,” Archer told reporters. “All of my interactions with him off the field have been good, but when it comes to him on the field, I don’t know what makes him think that he can showboat the way he does, and then nobody can retaliate or look at him in a funny way or nobody can pitch him inside.”
Ortiz shrugged off the criticism, and suggested Archer — given his lack of big league experience — wasn’t the right one to level such judgments.
“Tie game, something like that, you put your team ahead, you enjoy,” said Ortiz. “What can I tell you man? Players in today’s game are too sensitive about things. I’ll just leave it like that. I think he’s a good pitcher. I think he’s got great stuff. He’s a guy that I think is going to be pretty good. But it takes some time to get to that level.
“There’s always going to comments out there. He’s not the right guy to be saying that. He’s got two days in the league, you can’t be just [whining] and complaining about [stuff] like that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada