David Ortiz: Trading Jon Lester ‘sounds like a rebuilding … Hopefully he sticks around’
|07.27.14 at 7:29 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — David Ortiz, who slammed his fifth homer of the seven-game road trip on Sunday to propel the Red Sox to a 3-2 victory over the Rays, took stock of his team at a time when it’s prepared to return to Fenway Park nine games below .500, with rumors swirling of players who might get moved in the coming four days. Ortiz made clear that his preference is to see the Red Sox keep Jon Lester and work to regain their footing with the left-hander.
“Like I always say, I’m just another player here where I’ve got no choice but to agree with whatever,” Ortiz said. “The front office is hard to do and they’ve been talking about trading Jon. That sounds like a rebuilding, that type of situation. I don’t know. There’s not much I can say about it but they’ve probably got their reason to do it. Hopefully it doesn’t happen. Lester is one of the best pitchers in the game. That’s a keeper. … Hopefully he sticks around and keeps on giving us those good seasons that he always does give us.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team