David Ortiz: Trading Jon Lester ‘sounds like a rebuilding … Hopefully he sticks around’
|07.27.14 at 7:29 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — David Ortiz, who slammed his fifth homer of the seven-game road trip on Sunday to propel the Red Sox to a 3-2 victory over the Rays, took stock of his team at a time when it’s prepared to return to Fenway Park nine games below .500, with rumors swirling of players who might get moved in the coming four days. Ortiz made clear that his preference is to see the Red Sox keep Jon Lester and work to regain their footing with the left-hander.
“Like I always say, I’m just another player here where I’ve got no choice but to agree with whatever,” Ortiz said. “The front office is hard to do and they’ve been talking about trading Jon. That sounds like a rebuilding, that type of situation. I don’t know. There’s not much I can say about it but they’ve probably got their reason to do it. Hopefully it doesn’t happen. Lester is one of the best pitchers in the game. That’s a keeper. … Hopefully he sticks around and keeps on giving us those good seasons that he always does give us.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing