Jon Lester updates: With talks unlikely, likelihood of trade growing (but not one involving Matt Kemp)
|07.28.14 at 8:04 pm ET|
According to multiple major league sources, it looks as though the Red Sox‘ decision whether or not to trade Jon Lester most likely will be made close to the 4 p.m. July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, with the likelihood of a deal gaining momentum.
The sources paint the picture of multiple options being talked about throughout baseball, with Lester’s name being surfaced by myriad clubs. According to Fox Sports, interested teams include the Mariners and Orioles.
Sources: #RedSox getting ‘hit hard’ on both Lester and Lackey from most contenders, including AL East clubs.
‘ Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 28, 2014
Per one source, the chances of the Red Sox re-engaging in talks with Lester’s representatives prior to the deadline aren’t likely. With that in mind, and the Sox still not approaching Lester with an offer in line with the current market value, the chances of the lefty being dealt seem to be increasing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th
- Cup of Coffee: Keith Couch strong for Portland; Salem walk off
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo