Jon Lester updates: With talks unlikely, likelihood of trade growing (but not one involving Matt Kemp)
|07.28.14 at 8:04 pm ET|
According to multiple major league sources, it looks as though the Red Sox‘ decision whether or not to trade Jon Lester most likely will be made close to the 4 p.m. July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, with the likelihood of a deal gaining momentum.
The sources paint the picture of multiple options being talked about throughout baseball, with Lester’s name being surfaced by myriad clubs. According to Fox Sports, interested teams include the Mariners and Orioles.
Sources: #RedSox getting ‘hit hard’ on both Lester and Lackey from most contenders, including AL East clubs.
‘ Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 28, 2014
Per one source, the chances of the Red Sox re-engaging in talks with Lester’s representatives prior to the deadline aren’t likely. With that in mind, and the Sox still not approaching Lester with an offer in line with the current market value, the chances of the lefty being dealt seem to be increasing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome