Red Sox pregame notes: John Farrell communicating with players before trade deadline, Allen Webster to make start on Saturday
|07.28.14 at 7:44 pm ET|
It’s that time of year for manager John Farrell and the Boston Red Sox. With the trade deadline this upcoming Thursday and the Red Sox seemingly in a position to sell off some of their more desirable assets.
Given the recent trade of Jake Peavy, the team’s 48-57 record and the team’s position 10 1/2 games out of the American League East, a number of players, notably Jon Lester, Koji Uehara, Andrew Miller and Jonny Gomes have reportedly drawn interest from other teams.
With only three days until the deadline, Farrell says that the team is constant communication with players on their status of the trade market.
“I think it’s out of professional courtesy or respect to the player,” Farrell said. “Ben has been very much involved in this as well, trying to keep guys up to date if there is anything that has legitimacy to a given guy or the fact that in many cases, it’s a rumor and to put their thoughts at rest. I think everyone just wants to know where they stand and what they might anticipate. That being said, that’s the purpose behind it, to allow them to go about their work with a clear mind.”
Farrell, who says no trades are imminent, says the team tries to keep an open line of communication with players in regards to trade possibilities. Farrell says he is in constant communication with general manager Ben Cherington on the state of the team.
“If we need to make roster changes with guys coming from Pawtucket or if there are situations that make sense for us as an organization going forward, there is conversation,” Farrell said. “Ben has got a complete staff to pull form and a draw from and trust. This is about a group of people led by Ben trying to do what’s right for organization.”
OTHER RED SOX NOTES:
— Allen Webster will make the start for the Red Sox on Saturday against the Yankees. While there was speculation that Workman could make the start after his uniform was seen in his locker in the Red Sox clubhouse, Farrell put those thoughts to rest.
“Everything points to Allen making that start,” Farrell said. “There is no plan right now to make any changes in our rotation.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday