Red Sox pregame notes: John Farrell communicating with players before trade deadline, Allen Webster to make start on Saturday
|07.28.14 at 7:44 pm ET|
It’s that time of year for manager John Farrell and the Boston Red Sox. With the trade deadline this upcoming Thursday and the Red Sox seemingly in a position to sell off some of their more desirable assets.
Given the recent trade of Jake Peavy, the team’s 48-57 record and the team’s position 10 1/2 games out of the American League East, a number of players, notably Jon Lester, Koji Uehara, Andrew Miller and Jonny Gomes have reportedly drawn interest from other teams.
With only three days until the deadline, Farrell says that the team is constant communication with players on their status of the trade market.
“I think it’s out of professional courtesy or respect to the player,” Farrell said. “Ben has been very much involved in this as well, trying to keep guys up to date if there is anything that has legitimacy to a given guy or the fact that in many cases, it’s a rumor and to put their thoughts at rest. I think everyone just wants to know where they stand and what they might anticipate. That being said, that’s the purpose behind it, to allow them to go about their work with a clear mind.”
Farrell, who says no trades are imminent, says the team tries to keep an open line of communication with players in regards to trade possibilities. Farrell says he is in constant communication with general manager Ben Cherington on the state of the team.
“If we need to make roster changes with guys coming from Pawtucket or if there are situations that make sense for us as an organization going forward, there is conversation,” Farrell said. “Ben has got a complete staff to pull form and a draw from and trust. This is about a group of people led by Ben trying to do what’s right for organization.”
OTHER RED SOX NOTES:
— Allen Webster will make the start for the Red Sox on Saturday against the Yankees. While there was speculation that Workman could make the start after his uniform was seen in his locker in the Red Sox clubhouse, Farrell put those thoughts to rest.
“Everything points to Allen making that start,” Farrell said. “There is no plan right now to make any changes in our rotation.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins