Royals one of multiple teams showing interest in Andrew Miller
|07.28.14 at 11:56 pm ET|
According to major league sources, the Royals are one of multiple teams interested in the services of Red Sox reliever Andrew Miller. Kansas City, however, isn’t currently eyeing Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes, who had reportedly drawn interest from the club a few weeks back.
Miller will be eligible for free agency at the conclusion of the 2014 campaign, finishing up a deal that pays the lefty $1,903,125 this season.
“Just showing up to the park ready to play every day,” Miller said after the Red Sox‘ 14-1 loss to the Blue Jays on Monday night. “I can’t avoid the rumors. They’re inevitable. Whether something happens, I don’t know. It seems like there’s been years I’ve been on teams and everybody swears half the team is going to be traded and nothing ends up happening. Other times you think nothing is going to happen and it doesn’t. I guess it’s good to be wanted. It’s out of my control. I don’t have a no-trade to evoke. Whenever they tell me to pitch I’m ready to go. Right now my focus is on the Boston Red Sox and getting out some Toronto Blue Jays.”
The 29 year old has pitched in 48 games this year, totaling a 2.45 ERA while striking out 65 and walking 13 in 40 1/3 innings.
Miller explained that if he is dealt, there will be no ill will toward the Red Sox, who traded Dustin Richardson for the former first-round draft pick following the ’10 season.
“I completely understand the way the game works. It’s not a grudge,” he said. “I’ve loved my time here and I sincerely hope it doesn’t come to an end in the next couple of days, but if it does it won’t spoil it for me. If it does I’m certainly not going to burn a bridge on the way out of town. There’s value to us for both of us, so by no means will I close out that angle.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept