Sources: Only one offer made in Jon Lester talks, yet both sides understand parameters of preferred landing spots
|07.29.14 at 5:53 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, the only offer made by either side in the Jon Lester negotiations — from Lester’s representatives or the Red Sox — was the initial offering of four years, $70 million by the Sox at the end of spring training.
Yet, according to the sources, even with just the one formal offer, both sides have a “pretty good” understanding of what the respective parties are looking for their landing spots to be. The talks have been, and continue to be, classified as cordial and without animosity.
With the parameters in place, and no further communication scheduled until after the season, it has led the Red Sox to explore trade options involving the lefty.
While Lester is scheduled to pitch Wednesday, sources suggest there is still some uncertainty regarding whether or not he will make the start. Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Tuesday night’s game that if Lester isn’t able to go in the Sox’ series finale against the Blue Jays, Brandon Workman would fill in.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler