Sources: Only one offer made in Jon Lester talks, yet both sides understand parameters of preferred landing spots
|07.29.14 at 5:53 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, the only offer made by either side in the Jon Lester negotiations — from Lester’s representatives or the Red Sox — was the initial offering of four years, $70 million by the Sox at the end of spring training.
Yet, according to the sources, even with just the one formal offer, both sides have a “pretty good” understanding of what the respective parties are looking for their landing spots to be. The talks have been, and continue to be, classified as cordial and without animosity.
With the parameters in place, and no further communication scheduled until after the season, it has led the Red Sox to explore trade options involving the lefty.
While Lester is scheduled to pitch Wednesday, sources suggest there is still some uncertainty regarding whether or not he will make the start. Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Tuesday night’s game that if Lester isn’t able to go in the Sox’ series finale against the Blue Jays, Brandon Workman would fill in.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs