Sources: Only one offer made in Jon Lester talks, yet both sides understand parameters of preferred landing spots
|07.29.14 at 5:53 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, the only offer made by either side in the Jon Lester negotiations — from Lester’s representatives or the Red Sox — was the initial offering of four years, $70 million by the Sox at the end of spring training.
Yet, according to the sources, even with just the one formal offer, both sides have a “pretty good” understanding of what the respective parties are looking for their landing spots to be. The talks have been, and continue to be, classified as cordial and without animosity.
With the parameters in place, and no further communication scheduled until after the season, it has led the Red Sox to explore trade options involving the lefty.
While Lester is scheduled to pitch Wednesday, sources suggest there is still some uncertainty regarding whether or not he will make the start. Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Tuesday night’s game that if Lester isn’t able to go in the Sox’ series finale against the Blue Jays, Brandon Workman would fill in.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster