Anthony Ranaudo scheduled to start Friday for PawSox
|07.30.14 at 6:49 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — Anthony Ranaudo, previously scheduled to start on Thursday for the Pawtucket Red Sox, was pushed back to start on Friday for the team. To take his place on Thursday, recent acquisition Edwin Escobar will make his first start since being acquired by the Sox from the Giants for Jake Peavy.
John Lackey currently is scheduled to start for the Red Sox on Friday. That, however, might not happen given the reports that the righty has attracted interest on the trade market due to his strong performance in 2014 and his 2015 vesting option that will pay the 35-year-old the major league minimum after he missed the 2012 season following Tommy John surgery.
Ranaudo has been one of the best pitchers in the Pawucket rotation in 2014. In 21 starts, Ranaudo owns a 2.41 ERA with a 1.148 WHIP, 99 strikeouts, 49 walks and six home runs allowed in 119 1/3 innings pitched. Since making a mechanical adjustment that reduced movement in his windup, Ranaudo has displayed increased control over his arsenal. Since June, Ranaudo has a 1.94 ERA, striking out 46 and walking 17 batters. Oopponents are hitting .185 against Ranaudo, getting on base at a .252 clip and slugging .308.
PawSox manager Kevin Boles declined comment on whether or not Ranaudo represented a contingency plan for the major league squad should Lackey get dealt.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash