Anthony Ranaudo scheduled to start Friday for PawSox
|07.30.14 at 6:49 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — Anthony Ranaudo, previously scheduled to start on Thursday for the Pawtucket Red Sox, was pushed back to start on Friday for the team. To take his place on Thursday, recent acquisition Edwin Escobar will make his first start since being acquired by the Sox from the Giants for Jake Peavy.
John Lackey currently is scheduled to start for the Red Sox on Friday. That, however, might not happen given the reports that the righty has attracted interest on the trade market due to his strong performance in 2014 and his 2015 vesting option that will pay the 35-year-old the major league minimum after he missed the 2012 season following Tommy John surgery.
Ranaudo has been one of the best pitchers in the Pawucket rotation in 2014. In 21 starts, Ranaudo owns a 2.41 ERA with a 1.148 WHIP, 99 strikeouts, 49 walks and six home runs allowed in 119 1/3 innings pitched. Since making a mechanical adjustment that reduced movement in his windup, Ranaudo has displayed increased control over his arsenal. Since June, Ranaudo has a 1.94 ERA, striking out 46 and walking 17 batters. Oopponents are hitting .185 against Ranaudo, getting on base at a .252 clip and slugging .308.
PawSox manager Kevin Boles declined comment on whether or not Ranaudo represented a contingency plan for the major league squad should Lackey get dealt.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles