John Farrell: ‘No new news’ on Jon Lester as deadline nears
|07.30.14 at 11:07 pm ET|
“Jon-ny Les-ter! Jon-ny Les-ter!”
It was a spontaneous crowd tribute to a pitcher who has spent his career with the Red Sox since the team drafted him in 2002, who has spent every day of his nine-season big-league career calling Fenway Park home. It was a moment of recognition that, by the time the dust settles on the Major League Baseball trade deadline at 4 p.m. on Thursday, there’s a very real chance that Jon Lester will no longer be a member of the Red Sox.
“We were well aware of it, heard it. Wouldn’t expect anything less,” said Sox manager John Farrell after the game. “This is a fan base that is very much in tune with what we’re doing, good and bad, and I think it’s a clear sign of support for Jon.”
Lester, said Farrell, was in the dugout for the full nine innings of the Sox’ listless loss to the Blue Jays. And as of the end of the game, the manager added, there was nothing to report regarding the possibility of a trade.
“No new news or any progression of any sort to announce,” said Farrell.
According to sources familiar with the situation, there have been no last-minute discussions of a possible contract extension of the left-hander. Instead, the Red Sox continue to discuss the possibility with trades, with enough interested teams still in the mix that no trade appeared imminent as of the conclusion of Wednesday’s game.
Still, resolution of Lester’s situation — and that of numerous teammates — will arrive by 4 p.m. on Thursday, a prospect that will offer some measure of relief to a group that has appeared fried while making sense of what is to come.
“I think given the last 48 hours, getting past 4 o’clock tomorrow afternoon will be good for everyone [in the clubhouse],” Farrell said of a team that has now lost eight of nine. “And we’ve got to get back to playing a brand of baseball that is consistent with what we’ve done in the past and look to put together a more consistent game plan, top to bottom.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins