John Farrell: ‘No new news’ on Jon Lester as deadline nears
|07.30.14 at 11:07 pm ET|
“Jon-ny Les-ter! Jon-ny Les-ter!”
It was a spontaneous crowd tribute to a pitcher who has spent his career with the Red Sox since the team drafted him in 2002, who has spent every day of his nine-season big-league career calling Fenway Park home. It was a moment of recognition that, by the time the dust settles on the Major League Baseball trade deadline at 4 p.m. on Thursday, there’s a very real chance that Jon Lester will no longer be a member of the Red Sox.
“We were well aware of it, heard it. Wouldn’t expect anything less,” said Sox manager John Farrell after the game. “This is a fan base that is very much in tune with what we’re doing, good and bad, and I think it’s a clear sign of support for Jon.”
Lester, said Farrell, was in the dugout for the full nine innings of the Sox’ listless loss to the Blue Jays. And as of the end of the game, the manager added, there was nothing to report regarding the possibility of a trade.
“No new news or any progression of any sort to announce,” said Farrell.
According to sources familiar with the situation, there have been no last-minute discussions of a possible contract extension of the left-hander. Instead, the Red Sox continue to discuss the possibility with trades, with enough interested teams still in the mix that no trade appeared imminent as of the conclusion of Wednesday’s game.
Still, resolution of Lester’s situation — and that of numerous teammates — will arrive by 4 p.m. on Thursday, a prospect that will offer some measure of relief to a group that has appeared fried while making sense of what is to come.
“I think given the last 48 hours, getting past 4 o’clock tomorrow afternoon will be good for everyone [in the clubhouse],” Farrell said of a team that has now lost eight of nine. “And we’ve got to get back to playing a brand of baseball that is consistent with what we’ve done in the past and look to put together a more consistent game plan, top to bottom.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster