Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Brandon Workman vs. Mark Buehrle
|07.30.14 at 8:38 am ET|
“In light of all the uncertainty surrounding Jon Lester, it’s probably in everyone’s best interests that he does not make that start, so Brandon will be recalled,” Farrell said after the Sox’ 4-2 loss to the Blue Jays.
Workman (1-3, 4.13 ERA) was sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket on July 8 following an 8-3 loss to the White Sox in which he gave up five runs (three earned) on eight hits over seven innings. After looking strong in his first eight starts this season, the righty struggled in his last three, allowing 13 earned runs over 18 innings.
Workman made three starts for Pawtucket following his demotion. He gave up five runs over 16 innings in the three outings. Four of those runs came July 13 in his first start since being sent down.
Wednesday will be Workman’s first career start against the Blue Jays. He tossed three innings of relief against Toronto on Aug. 14, 2013, giving up one run, two hits and two walks to go with four strikeouts.
Buehrle (10-7, 3.19 ERA) has regressed in the last two months after a hot start to the season. The left-hander was 10-1 with a 2.10 ERA following a win over the Royals on June 1. Since then he is 0-6 with a 4.83 ERA, with last Friday being arguably his worst start of the season. Buehrle lasted a season-low three innings against the Yankees, giving up six runs on nine hits in a 6-4 Blue Jays loss.
“Obviously it’s frustrating, big game like this, we needed to come out and try to make a point,” Buehrle said after the game.
“I felt like I made some pitches, they put the ball in play. I made a mistake and they made me pay for it. That’s part of this game. I’ll come in tomorrow, get ready for my next start, just like I did when I was 10-1.”
Buehrle hasn’t faced the Sox since his season went downhill. But even then the lefty had mixed results facing the Red Sox in his two starts against them this season.
Buehrle was roughed up in Toronto on April 25, surrendering seven runs (six earned) on 12 hits over 5 1/3 innings in an 8-1 loss. He bounced back with a strong, seven-inning performance at Fenway Park May 22. He gave up two runs and seven hits and struck out five in a 7-2 Blue Jays win. Buehrle is 9-10 with a 4.46 ERA in 26 games (25 starts) against the Red Sox in his career.
Blue Jays vs. Workman (RHP)
Jose Bautista is hitless in two plate appearances.
Jose Reyes and Munenori Kawasaki are both hitless in their lone plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (84 plate appearances): .316 AVG/.357 OBP/.582 SLG, 4 HR, 9 doubles, 14 RBIs, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (43): .375/.405/.475, 4 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (39): .333/.410/.455, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 5 RBIs, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (31): .214/.233/.357, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (25): .286/.360/.476, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (12): .364/.417/.636, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (12): .333/.333/.667, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts (8): .250/.250/.750, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI
Jackie Bradley (6): .400/.500/1.000, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.333
Brock Holt (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven