Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Brandon Workman vs. Mark Buehrle
|07.30.14 at 8:38 am ET|
“In light of all the uncertainty surrounding Jon Lester, it’s probably in everyone’s best interests that he does not make that start, so Brandon will be recalled,” Farrell said after the Sox’ 4-2 loss to the Blue Jays.
Workman (1-3, 4.13 ERA) was sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket on July 8 following an 8-3 loss to the White Sox in which he gave up five runs (three earned) on eight hits over seven innings. After looking strong in his first eight starts this season, the righty struggled in his last three, allowing 13 earned runs over 18 innings.
Workman made three starts for Pawtucket following his demotion. He gave up five runs over 16 innings in the three outings. Four of those runs came July 13 in his first start since being sent down.
Wednesday will be Workman’s first career start against the Blue Jays. He tossed three innings of relief against Toronto on Aug. 14, 2013, giving up one run, two hits and two walks to go with four strikeouts.
Buehrle (10-7, 3.19 ERA) has regressed in the last two months after a hot start to the season. The left-hander was 10-1 with a 2.10 ERA following a win over the Royals on June 1. Since then he is 0-6 with a 4.83 ERA, with last Friday being arguably his worst start of the season. Buehrle lasted a season-low three innings against the Yankees, giving up six runs on nine hits in a 6-4 Blue Jays loss.
“Obviously it’s frustrating, big game like this, we needed to come out and try to make a point,” Buehrle said after the game.
“I felt like I made some pitches, they put the ball in play. I made a mistake and they made me pay for it. That’s part of this game. I’ll come in tomorrow, get ready for my next start, just like I did when I was 10-1.”
Buehrle hasn’t faced the Sox since his season went downhill. But even then the lefty had mixed results facing the Red Sox in his two starts against them this season.
Buehrle was roughed up in Toronto on April 25, surrendering seven runs (six earned) on 12 hits over 5 1/3 innings in an 8-1 loss. He bounced back with a strong, seven-inning performance at Fenway Park May 22. He gave up two runs and seven hits and struck out five in a 7-2 Blue Jays win. Buehrle is 9-10 with a 4.46 ERA in 26 games (25 starts) against the Red Sox in his career.
Blue Jays vs. Workman (RHP)
Jose Bautista is hitless in two plate appearances.
Jose Reyes and Munenori Kawasaki are both hitless in their lone plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (84 plate appearances): .316 AVG/.357 OBP/.582 SLG, 4 HR, 9 doubles, 14 RBIs, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (43): .375/.405/.475, 4 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (39): .333/.410/.455, 1 triple, 2 doubles, 5 RBIs, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (31): .214/.233/.357, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (25): .286/.360/.476, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (12): .364/.417/.636, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (12): .333/.333/.667, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts (8): .250/.250/.750, 1 HR, 1 double, 1 RBI
Jackie Bradley (6): .400/.500/1.000, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.333
Brock Holt (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins