David Ross appears headed to disabled list after likely tearing plantar fascia
|08.01.14 at 11:44 pm ET|
According to team sources, it is believed David Ross has ruptured the plantar fascia in his right foot. The injury, which occurred while the catcher was running to first base on a sixth-inning ground out, will most likely land the catcher on the 15-day disabled list.
The rupture is actually a positive development for Ross, who has been dealing with plantar fasciitis for some time. (He believed the injury cropped up after over-compensating for an ankle injury suffered in mid-May.) The only way for the injury to heal is for the tendon to rupture, a reality Ross was introduced when experiencing the injury in 2007.
The healing process for such an injury varies, but typically takes several weeks to recover from.
“We’ll evaluate him tomorrow. Looks like he’s got some pain in that plantar fascia tendon,” Farrell said. “We’ll take a look at him tomorrow to make any determination at that point.”
Ross said after aggravating the injury July 22 that he was hoping such an occurrence would take place at some point as to start the healing process.
‘In the offseason I ruptured it and that’s what they do when they do surgery, they just go in and cut it,’ he said after that game in Toronto. ‘So I ruptured it and it hasn’t been a problem since. I was running today with the intent of letting that thing blow out. It would feel a lot better if it would.’
Butler has never played in the major leagues, having compiled a .222 batting average, and .637 OPS with four home runs in 75 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs