David Ross appears headed to disabled list after likely tearing plantar fascia
|08.01.14 at 11:44 pm ET|
According to team sources, it is believed David Ross has ruptured the plantar fascia in his right foot. The injury, which occurred while the catcher was running to first base on a sixth-inning ground out, will most likely land the catcher on the 15-day disabled list.
The rupture is actually a positive development for Ross, who has been dealing with plantar fasciitis for some time. (He believed the injury cropped up after over-compensating for an ankle injury suffered in mid-May.) The only way for the injury to heal is for the tendon to rupture, a reality Ross was introduced when experiencing the injury in 2007.
The healing process for such an injury varies, but typically takes several weeks to recover from.
“We’ll evaluate him tomorrow. Looks like he’s got some pain in that plantar fascia tendon,” Farrell said. “We’ll take a look at him tomorrow to make any determination at that point.”
Ross said after aggravating the injury July 22 that he was hoping such an occurrence would take place at some point as to start the healing process.
‘In the offseason I ruptured it and that’s what they do when they do surgery, they just go in and cut it,’ he said after that game in Toronto. ‘So I ruptured it and it hasn’t been a problem since. I was running today with the intent of letting that thing blow out. It would feel a lot better if it would.’
Butler has never played in the major leagues, having compiled a .222 batting average, and .637 OPS with four home runs in 75 games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello