John Farrell: ‘We’re not in a development phase. … Where we are is unacceptable’
|08.01.14 at 6:00 pm ET|
A dispirited Red Sox team left Fenway Park on Wednesday. The team had just lost its third straight game to the Blue Jays. Trade winds whirled around a team that had lost eight of nine games to fall to 48-60, on pace for a 72-90 record that itself seemed like a potentially ambitious mark.
But on Friday, with the Sox having brought back veteran components (Yoenis Cespedes, Allen Craig, Joe Kelly) while dealing away key veterans (Jon Lester, John Lackey, Andrew Miller, Stephen Drew), John Farrell suggested that the Sox were not going to be content to go through the motions while hoping that young players familiarize themselves with the big league setting over the duration of the season.
“It’s important to note that we’re not in a development phase. With the players we’ve been able to bring back, this isn’t a prospect-laden situation where now it’s getting exposure for young players. We’ve added established major-league players. Our intent, our goal every night is to go out and win,” said Sox manager John Farrell. “More than anything, where we are in the standings (12 1/2 games out, last place in the division) is unacceptable. That’s why changes were made. This shouldn’t be seen as a chance to ease in. I don’t think that’s what the Red Sox are about. It’s still an approach and expectation that we share that our focus is a daily thing and that winning the game that night is important.
“We’ve met with every veteran guy leading up to the trading deadline. They’re well aware of what was to take place, and I think there’s an injection of enthusiasm with the players we’ve been able to bring back,” added Farrell. “So many times, when you hear of frontline players being traded, you’re anticipating prospects in return. We’ve been able to get established players, and that’s been a welcome sight in our clubhouse.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins