Red Sox designate Mike Carp for assignment
|08.01.14 at 4:49 pm ET|
With the addition of a pair of corner outfield bats at the trade deadline, the Red Sox saw Mike Carp‘s limited playing time dwindling even further, and so the team designated Carp for assignment to take him off the 40-man major league roster. The team has up to 10 days to trade him (either to a team that claims him off waivers or after he clears waivers), send him to Triple-A or release him. Red Sox manager John Farrell suggested that the team wanted to give Carp a chance to pursue opportunities elsewhere, suggesting the possibility of a release.
Carp, acquired for cash prior to the 2013 season, hit .296/.362/.523 as a key reserve on last year’s World Series-winning team. But this year, he hit .198/.320/.279 in 42 games, and struggled to produce both in his part-time role and while working around a five-week period on the sidelines due to a broken foot.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville