Red Sox designate Mike Carp for assignment
|08.01.14 at 4:49 pm ET|
With the addition of a pair of corner outfield bats at the trade deadline, the Red Sox saw Mike Carp‘s limited playing time dwindling even further, and so the team designated Carp for assignment to take him off the 40-man major league roster. The team has up to 10 days to trade him (either to a team that claims him off waivers or after he clears waivers), send him to Triple-A or release him. Red Sox manager John Farrell suggested that the team wanted to give Carp a chance to pursue opportunities elsewhere, suggesting the possibility of a release.
Carp, acquired for cash prior to the 2013 season, hit .296/.362/.523 as a key reserve on last year’s World Series-winning team. But this year, he hit .198/.320/.279 in 42 games, and struggled to produce both in his part-time role and while working around a five-week period on the sidelines due to a broken foot.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins