Sources: LHP Henry Owens promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket
|08.01.14 at 10:37 am ET|
Friday has quickly turned into a milestone day for two of the Red Sox‘ top pitching prospects.
With Anthony Ranaudo set to make his major league debut against the Yankees, the Sox are promoting left-hander Henry Owens to Triple-A Pawtucket, according to multiple industry sources.
Ranked No. 2 by Baseball America on the team’s prospect list in December, Owens has been impressive for Double-A Portland this season. The 22-year-old is 14-4 with a 2.60 ERA in 20 starts, throwing three complete games and two shutouts in the process. Owens has 126 strikeouts to 47 walks with a WHIP of 1.124, and is second on the Sea Dogs with 121 innings pitched.
The 6-foot-7, 200-pound California native was drafted out of high school by the Sox in 2011 in the supplemental first round. He’s in his third year in the Red Sox‘ minor league system after starting out in Greenville in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals