Sources: Red Sox to call up LHP Tommy Layne
|08.01.14 at 11:03 am ET|
With a sudden need for pitching help due to a flurry of trades Thursday, the Red Sox will call up left-handed reliever Tommy Layne, according to multiple industry sources.
Layne pitched one game for the Red Sox this season, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the second game of a day-night doubleheader against the Orioles and allowing one walk.
The 29-year-old has been impressive in Pawtucket, going 5-1 with a 1.50 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 48 innings (37 appearances).
Layne, who stands 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 26th round of the 2007 draft. After five seasons in Arizona’s minor league system, the St. Louis native was sent to the Padres in 2012. He appeared in 40 games for San Diego over two seasons, all in relief, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.84 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 25 1/3 innings. He held lefties to a .175 batting average.
He was designated for assignment following the 2013 season and signed with the Red Sox on Nov. 10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.