Sources: Red Sox to call up LHP Tommy Layne
|08.01.14 at 11:03 am ET|
With a sudden need for pitching help due to a flurry of trades Thursday, the Red Sox will call up left-handed reliever Tommy Layne, according to multiple industry sources.
Layne pitched one game for the Red Sox this season, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the second game of a day-night doubleheader against the Orioles and allowing one walk.
The 29-year-old has been impressive in Pawtucket, going 5-1 with a 1.50 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 48 innings (37 appearances).
Layne, who stands 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 26th round of the 2007 draft. After five seasons in Arizona’s minor league system, the St. Louis native was sent to the Padres in 2012. He appeared in 40 games for San Diego over two seasons, all in relief, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.84 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 25 1/3 innings. He held lefties to a .175 batting average.
He was designated for assignment following the 2013 season and signed with the Red Sox on Nov. 10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas