Sources: Red Sox to call up LHP Tommy Layne
|08.01.14 at 11:03 am ET|
With a sudden need for pitching help due to a flurry of trades Thursday, the Red Sox will call up left-handed reliever Tommy Layne, according to multiple industry sources.
Layne pitched one game for the Red Sox this season, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the second game of a day-night doubleheader against the Orioles and allowing one walk.
The 29-year-old has been impressive in Pawtucket, going 5-1 with a 1.50 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 48 innings (37 appearances).
Layne, who stands 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 26th round of the 2007 draft. After five seasons in Arizona’s minor league system, the St. Louis native was sent to the Padres in 2012. He appeared in 40 games for San Diego over two seasons, all in relief, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.84 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 25 1/3 innings. He held lefties to a .175 batting average.
He was designated for assignment following the 2013 season and signed with the Red Sox on Nov. 10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins