Sources: Red Sox to call up LHP Tommy Layne
|08.01.14 at 11:03 am ET|
With a sudden need for pitching help due to a flurry of trades Thursday, the Red Sox will call up left-handed reliever Tommy Layne, according to multiple industry sources.
Layne pitched one game for the Red Sox this season, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the second game of a day-night doubleheader against the Orioles and allowing one walk.
The 29-year-old has been impressive in Pawtucket, going 5-1 with a 1.50 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 48 innings (37 appearances).
Layne, who stands 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, was selected by the Diamondbacks in the 26th round of the 2007 draft. After five seasons in Arizona’s minor league system, the St. Louis native was sent to the Padres in 2012. He appeared in 40 games for San Diego over two seasons, all in relief, posting a 2-2 record with a 2.84 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 25 1/3 innings. He held lefties to a .175 batting average.
He was designated for assignment following the 2013 season and signed with the Red Sox on Nov. 10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville