Red Sox notes: Why Yoenis Cespedes is in left field; Allen Craig rests his ankle
|08.02.14 at 4:48 pm ET|
It comes as little surprise that in his Red Sox debut on Saturday, Yoenis Cespedes will take aim at the Green Monster. What does come as some surprise is that Cespedes will also be playing in front of it.
The Red Sox acquired Cespedes with the intention of having him be, in the words of John Farrell, “our everyday right fielder” — a role that he can claim without difficulty given that Shane Victorino appears likely to undergo season-ending surgery on his lower back. But on Saturday, Cespedes, who has yet to play a game in right field since making his big league debut in 2012, will instead patrol left field given his familiarity there and his lack of exposure to right, particularly at Fenway Park.
“Out of fairness to Yoenis, we need to get some early work in, particularly in Fenway here,” said Farrell.
It will require less of a transition period for Cespedes, the two-time Home Run Derby champion, to prepare himself for an assault on Lansdowne Street.
“It’s as much raw power as you’re going to find in the game. We’ve seen it in-game rather than being in an exhibition derby type of thing,” said Farrell. “We’re looking forward to seeing him on the field. His middle-of-the-order presence is what we’ve needed to lengthen out our lineup, and he provides that.”
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— New Red Sox corner bat Allen Craig was scheduled to have a day off on Saturday. That plan became even easier to implement after he turned an ankle while running across first base in his final at-bat of his Red Sox debut on Friday.
— Newly acquired infielder Kelly Johnson, who came to the Sox from the Yankees in the trade that shipped Stephen Drew to New York, will go to Triple-A Pawtucket for a couple of rehab games with the expectation that he will be activated by the Red Sox on Thursday in St. Louis.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates