Red Sox notes: Why Yoenis Cespedes is in left field; Allen Craig rests his ankle
|08.02.14 at 4:48 pm ET|
It comes as little surprise that in his Red Sox debut on Saturday, Yoenis Cespedes will take aim at the Green Monster. What does come as some surprise is that Cespedes will also be playing in front of it.
The Red Sox acquired Cespedes with the intention of having him be, in the words of John Farrell, “our everyday right fielder” — a role that he can claim without difficulty given that Shane Victorino appears likely to undergo season-ending surgery on his lower back. But on Saturday, Cespedes, who has yet to play a game in right field since making his big league debut in 2012, will instead patrol left field given his familiarity there and his lack of exposure to right, particularly at Fenway Park.
“Out of fairness to Yoenis, we need to get some early work in, particularly in Fenway here,” said Farrell.
It will require less of a transition period for Cespedes, the two-time Home Run Derby champion, to prepare himself for an assault on Lansdowne Street.
“It’s as much raw power as you’re going to find in the game. We’ve seen it in-game rather than being in an exhibition derby type of thing,” said Farrell. “We’re looking forward to seeing him on the field. His middle-of-the-order presence is what we’ve needed to lengthen out our lineup, and he provides that.”
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— New Red Sox corner bat Allen Craig was scheduled to have a day off on Saturday. That plan became even easier to implement after he turned an ankle while running across first base in his final at-bat of his Red Sox debut on Friday.
— Newly acquired infielder Kelly Johnson, who came to the Sox from the Yankees in the trade that shipped Stephen Drew to New York, will go to Triple-A Pawtucket for a couple of rehab games with the expectation that he will be activated by the Red Sox on Thursday in St. Louis.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing