Mike Carp claimed off waivers by Texas
|08.03.14 at 5:55 pm ET|
It didn’t take long for another team to reel in disgruntled first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp.
Carp was claimed off waivers by the Rangers, just two days after being designated for assignment Friday.
Carp could never get settled in at the plate during his second campaign with Boston, posting a .198/.320/.279 line with no home runs and nine RBIs in just 86 at-bats in 2014. Upset with his lack of playing time, Carp requested a trade after the All-Star break.
Making the move down to Texas will help remedy Carp’s current situation, as both Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland are out for the season with injuries, creating a revolving door at first for the Rangers.
While his tenure in Boston ended on a rough note, Farrell expressed his appreciation in what Carp brought to the team off the bench.
“I don’t think you can ever underestimate the roster depth,” Farrell said. “Those players that fill those roles, it starts with their accepting of the role first and foremost and then the ability to perform inside it.”
With Carp’s departure, Kelly Johnson, acquired from the Yankees in the July 31 deal involving Stephen Drew, is expected to take over as the team’s go-to utility man in the infield.
“Kelly Johnson is one that’s familiar as well with that same role, he might provide a little bit more versatility defensively with the ability to play around the infield, so we’ve got a similar player in that role,” Farrell said.
Carp was a key contributor off the bench during Boston’s World Series run in 2013, hitting .296 with nine home runs and 43 RBIs in just 216 at-bats.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?