Mike Carp claimed off waivers by Texas
|08.03.14 at 5:55 pm ET|
It didn’t take long for another team to reel in disgruntled first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp.
Carp was claimed off waivers by the Rangers, just two days after being designated for assignment Friday.
Carp could never get settled in at the plate during his second campaign with Boston, posting a .198/.320/.279 line with no home runs and nine RBIs in just 86 at-bats in 2014. Upset with his lack of playing time, Carp requested a trade after the All-Star break.
Making the move down to Texas will help remedy Carp’s current situation, as both Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland are out for the season with injuries, creating a revolving door at first for the Rangers.
While his tenure in Boston ended on a rough note, Farrell expressed his appreciation in what Carp brought to the team off the bench.
“I don’t think you can ever underestimate the roster depth,” Farrell said. “Those players that fill those roles, it starts with their accepting of the role first and foremost and then the ability to perform inside it.”
With Carp’s departure, Kelly Johnson, acquired from the Yankees in the July 31 deal involving Stephen Drew, is expected to take over as the team’s go-to utility man in the infield.
“Kelly Johnson is one that’s familiar as well with that same role, he might provide a little bit more versatility defensively with the ability to play around the infield, so we’ve got a similar player in that role,” Farrell said.
Carp was a key contributor off the bench during Boston’s World Series run in 2013, hitting .296 with nine home runs and 43 RBIs in just 216 at-bats.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo