Mike Carp claimed off waivers by Texas
|08.03.14 at 5:55 pm ET|
It didn’t take long for another team to reel in disgruntled first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp.
Carp was claimed off waivers by the Rangers, just two days after being designated for assignment Friday.
Carp could never get settled in at the plate during his second campaign with Boston, posting a .198/.320/.279 line with no home runs and nine RBIs in just 86 at-bats in 2014. Upset with his lack of playing time, Carp requested a trade after the All-Star break.
Making the move down to Texas will help remedy Carp’s current situation, as both Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland are out for the season with injuries, creating a revolving door at first for the Rangers.
While his tenure in Boston ended on a rough note, Farrell expressed his appreciation in what Carp brought to the team off the bench.
“I don’t think you can ever underestimate the roster depth,” Farrell said. “Those players that fill those roles, it starts with their accepting of the role first and foremost and then the ability to perform inside it.”
With Carp’s departure, Kelly Johnson, acquired from the Yankees in the July 31 deal involving Stephen Drew, is expected to take over as the team’s go-to utility man in the infield.
“Kelly Johnson is one that’s familiar as well with that same role, he might provide a little bit more versatility defensively with the ability to play around the infield, so we’ve got a similar player in that role,” Farrell said.
Carp was a key contributor off the bench during Boston’s World Series run in 2013, hitting .296 with nine home runs and 43 RBIs in just 216 at-bats.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Ockimey continue hot streaks