Source: Red Sox never made trade deadline run at Giancarlo Stanton
|08.03.14 at 9:31 pm ET|
According to a major league source, despite the strong interest from the Marlins regarding Jon Lester leading into the non-waiver trade deadline, the Red Sox never engaged Miami in talks for outfielder Giancarlo Stanton.
Along with Baltimore, Miami extended the best package of prospects to the Red Sox for Lester before the Sox decided to go with Oakland offer of Yoenis Cespedes for the pitcher and outfielder Jonny Gomes.
With Miami’s motivation for acquiring Lester clearly appearing to be built from a desire to convince the Marlins’ fan base they were making a run at the playoffs this season, there was no indications that Stanton was going to be made available.
Talking to WEEI.com at the All-Star Game, Stanton said when asked about rumors circulating a trade to the Red Sox, “Rumors are rumors, but then again the route of all truths could be some rumors, so you never know.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins