David Ortiz on losing Jon Lester: ‘What can you do about it?’
|08.04.14 at 5:54 am ET|
Outside of that, the designated hitter is just sitting back and waiting.
“We’ll see how it goes,” Ortiz told WEEI.com regarding the Red Sox‘ recent trade of Lester and Jonny Gomes to the Athletics for Yoenis Cespedes. “It’s a game you have to prepare for whatever and go from there. We’ll see. You never know what can happen in the offseason … I’ve got to come in still and do what I’ve got to do, right?”
He added, “It’s part of the game. It’s not what you want to see, but I’ve seen it happen before. What can you do about it?”
This one might be a bit different for the slugger, however.
Lester was, along with Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz, one of the holdovers from the Red Sox‘ last two World Series championship teams, having teamed with the DH to help carry last year’s club to its title.
The dynamic was such a unique one — with the key players in the clubhouse expressing unbridled loyalty toward Lester — that the front office offered at least some communication on the edges of the deal.
“We had some conversations, but they didn’t have to explain to me exactly what they were trying to do,” Ortiz said. ” ‘We’re going to make this move …’ and afterwards, ‘We did this move because of this or that.’ It’s not like I’m going to be all depressed of that. You win as a group. You don’t win as one person.”
Now comes the plea for patience.
Will the likes of Cespedes and Allen Craig give Ortiz more pitches to hit?
“I don’t know,” the DH said. “We’ll see.”
Will the Red Sox be able to find the necessary pitching?
“It’s going to happen. I think it’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of time,” Ortiz said. “The offseason is going to be interesting to see how it goes, because you’re not going to get anything for free in today’s game. You’re going to have to pay.”
And, most importantly, might Lester return?
“He’s going to be a free agent, and I know for a fact Oakland isn’t going to be able to pay him,” Ortiz explained. “So it’s going to be either here, L.A., Yankees. One of those. One of the big teams.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins