Sources: Red Sox to promote Heath Hembree, Corey Brown
|08.04.14 at 6:16 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, the Red Sox are planning to call up reliever Heath Hembree and outfielder Corey Brown for the upcoming road trip to St. Louis.
While the corresponding roster moves have yet to be announced, pitcher Steven Wright most likely will be sent down to Pawtucket in order to make room for Hembree.
The move to make room for Brown on the roster is a little more complicated. Logical solutions could be to place Allen Craig, who hurt his left ankle running in his Red Sox debut on Friday, on the disabled list, or to send Mookie Betts back to Pawtucket.
Hembree was acquired in the trade with the Giants for Jake Peavy. Hembree made his major league debut in 2013, pitching nine games, allowing no runs, walking two and striking out 12 in 7 2/3 innings pitched. Hembree appeared in two games for the PawSox, going 1 2/3 innings, allowing one hit, walking two and striking out four.
Brown has displayed the ability to hit for power for Triple-A Pawtucket, hitting 16 home runs and knocking in 39 runs while hitting .226/.294/.452 with 14 doubles. In his last 10 games, Brown is hitting .278/.333/.694 with three home runs, five RBIs, two doubles and two triples. The 25-year-old played in parts of three seasons in the majors with the Nationals, hitting .175/.250/.400 with two home runs, four RBIs and three doubles in 45 plate appearances in 36 games.
Brown is not on the 40-man roster, but the team has one open spot after its non-waiver trade deadline deals.
To read more about Hembree, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo