Sources: Red Sox to promote Heath Hembree, Corey Brown
|08.04.14 at 6:16 pm ET|
According to multiple sources, the Red Sox are planning to call up reliever Heath Hembree and outfielder Corey Brown for the upcoming road trip to St. Louis.
While the corresponding roster moves have yet to be announced, pitcher Steven Wright most likely will be sent down to Pawtucket in order to make room for Hembree.
The move to make room for Brown on the roster is a little more complicated. Logical solutions could be to place Allen Craig, who hurt his left ankle running in his Red Sox debut on Friday, on the disabled list, or to send Mookie Betts back to Pawtucket.
Hembree was acquired in the trade with the Giants for Jake Peavy. Hembree made his major league debut in 2013, pitching nine games, allowing no runs, walking two and striking out 12 in 7 2/3 innings pitched. Hembree appeared in two games for the PawSox, going 1 2/3 innings, allowing one hit, walking two and striking out four.
Brown has displayed the ability to hit for power for Triple-A Pawtucket, hitting 16 home runs and knocking in 39 runs while hitting .226/.294/.452 with 14 doubles. In his last 10 games, Brown is hitting .278/.333/.694 with three home runs, five RBIs, two doubles and two triples. The 25-year-old played in parts of three seasons in the majors with the Nationals, hitting .175/.250/.400 with two home runs, four RBIs and three doubles in 45 plate appearances in 36 games.
Brown is not on the 40-man roster, but the team has one open spot after its non-waiver trade deadline deals.
To read more about Hembree, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven