Allen Craig to land on disabled list due to ankle injury; Corey Brown getting called up
|08.05.14 at 1:05 pm ET|
Allen Craig won’t be on the field for his return to St. Louis.
Five days after the Cardinals traded Craig to the Red Sox, along with right-hander Joe Kelly, for right-hander John Lackey and minor league lefty Corey Littrell, Craig is heading to the disabled list due to an ankle injury, according to a Red Sox team source. Craig went 1-for-4 with a double in his Sox debut on Friday, but in his final at-bat, he tweaked his ankle while crossing first base while running out a grounder.
In 97 games for the Cardinals this year prior to the trade, the 30-year-old Craig was hitting .237/.291/.346, a significant dropoff from his pre-2014 career line of .306/.358/.492. Craig missed considerable time last year due to a Lisfranc fracture in his foot. On Sunday, Sox manager John Farrell said that the Red Sox were trying to discern if there was any connection between last year’s injury and this one.
With Craig out, outfielder Corey Brown will join the Red Sox to provide outfield depth. The 28-year-old, who signed a minor league deal with the Sox in the offseason, is hitting .226/.294/.452 with 16 homers in 83 games this year in Triple-A Pawtucket. Of his 16 homers, 14 have come against righties. Brown, who can play all three outfield positions, has played 36 big league games in his career, all as a member of the Nationals from 2011-13.
The Red Sox begin a three-game series against the Cardinals on Tuesday.
News of Craig’s move to the DL was first reported by Maureen Mullen (via twitter).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller