Allen Craig to land on disabled list due to ankle injury; Corey Brown getting called up
|08.05.14 at 1:05 pm ET|
Allen Craig won’t be on the field for his return to St. Louis.
Five days after the Cardinals traded Craig to the Red Sox, along with right-hander Joe Kelly, for right-hander John Lackey and minor league lefty Corey Littrell, Craig is heading to the disabled list due to an ankle injury, according to a Red Sox team source. Craig went 1-for-4 with a double in his Sox debut on Friday, but in his final at-bat, he tweaked his ankle while crossing first base while running out a grounder.
In 97 games for the Cardinals this year prior to the trade, the 30-year-old Craig was hitting .237/.291/.346, a significant dropoff from his pre-2014 career line of .306/.358/.492. Craig missed considerable time last year due to a Lisfranc fracture in his foot. On Sunday, Sox manager John Farrell said that the Red Sox were trying to discern if there was any connection between last year’s injury and this one.
With Craig out, outfielder Corey Brown will join the Red Sox to provide outfield depth. The 28-year-old, who signed a minor league deal with the Sox in the offseason, is hitting .226/.294/.452 with 16 homers in 83 games this year in Triple-A Pawtucket. Of his 16 homers, 14 have come against righties. Brown, who can play all three outfield positions, has played 36 big league games in his career, all as a member of the Nationals from 2011-13.
The Red Sox begin a three-game series against the Cardinals on Tuesday.
News of Craig’s move to the DL was first reported by Maureen Mullen (via twitter).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Kimbrel