Red Sox option Mookie Betts, set to activate Kelly Johnson
|08.07.14 at 4:08 pm ET|
Betts started twice in five games after being summoned back to the big leagues on August 1, going 2-for-7. For the year, in 13 contests, he’s hitting .244/.279/.366 in 44 big league plate appearances.
The 21-year-old has shredded the minors, however, for a .342/.429/.530 line with 11 homers and 30 steals in 88 games, including a .321/.408/.496 line in Triple-A Pawtucket. With something of a roster crowd in the big leagues that has the Sox rotating outfielders in and out of the lineup, the team wanted to ensure regular playing time for Betts at this stage of his professional development by having him return to the minors rather than dealing with fitful playing time in the big leagues.
Johnson, acquired from the Yankees for Stephen Drew just before last Thursday’s trade deadline, went 0-for-6 with two walks and three strikeouts during a two-game rehab assignment with Double-A Portland in which he saw time at first and third base. Prior to the groin injury that landed him on the D.L., Johnson was hitting .219/.304/.373 in 77 games for the Yankees.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg