Red Sox option Mookie Betts, set to activate Kelly Johnson
|08.07.14 at 4:08 pm ET|
Betts started twice in five games after being summoned back to the big leagues on August 1, going 2-for-7. For the year, in 13 contests, he’s hitting .244/.279/.366 in 44 big league plate appearances.
The 21-year-old has shredded the minors, however, for a .342/.429/.530 line with 11 homers and 30 steals in 88 games, including a .321/.408/.496 line in Triple-A Pawtucket. With something of a roster crowd in the big leagues that has the Sox rotating outfielders in and out of the lineup, the team wanted to ensure regular playing time for Betts at this stage of his professional development by having him return to the minors rather than dealing with fitful playing time in the big leagues.
Johnson, acquired from the Yankees for Stephen Drew just before last Thursday’s trade deadline, went 0-for-6 with two walks and three strikeouts during a two-game rehab assignment with Double-A Portland in which he saw time at first and third base. Prior to the groin injury that landed him on the D.L., Johnson was hitting .219/.304/.373 in 77 games for the Yankees.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa