Red Sox option Mookie Betts, set to activate Kelly Johnson
|08.07.14 at 4:08 pm ET|
Betts started twice in five games after being summoned back to the big leagues on August 1, going 2-for-7. For the year, in 13 contests, he’s hitting .244/.279/.366 in 44 big league plate appearances.
The 21-year-old has shredded the minors, however, for a .342/.429/.530 line with 11 homers and 30 steals in 88 games, including a .321/.408/.496 line in Triple-A Pawtucket. With something of a roster crowd in the big leagues that has the Sox rotating outfielders in and out of the lineup, the team wanted to ensure regular playing time for Betts at this stage of his professional development by having him return to the minors rather than dealing with fitful playing time in the big leagues.
Johnson, acquired from the Yankees for Stephen Drew just before last Thursday’s trade deadline, went 0-for-6 with two walks and three strikeouts during a two-game rehab assignment with Double-A Portland in which he saw time at first and third base. Prior to the groin injury that landed him on the D.L., Johnson was hitting .219/.304/.373 in 77 games for the Yankees.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Updates: Dalbec highlights seven Spinners
- Podcast Ep. #111: Spring at Last
- Fort Report: Spring training games begin
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates