Tuesday’s Red Sox-Reds matchups: Joe Kelly vs. Mat Latos
|08.12.14 at 8:27 am ET|
The Red Sox will close out their eight-game road trip with a two-game set against the Reds in Cincinnati. Boston will send Joe Kelly to the mound against Mat Latos in the series opener.
Kelly (2-2, 3.86 ERA) will look to build on his impressive debut with Boston, as the right-hander gave up just one run over seven innings against his former team — the Cardinals — on Thursday.
It was a sentimental outing for Kelly for multiple reasons. Not only was he pitching against the only team he had ever previously been associated with, he also was facing off against his close friend and fellow pitcher Shelby Miller. Kelly and Miller were the best man in each other’s weddings.
“There were some emotions there,” Kelly said after the Boston’s 2-1 win. “After the first inning, basically after the first pitch, I realized it was just pitching again. It’s like pitching in the playoffs — you get really excited and anxious to pitch in the playoffs. Once you let go of that ball, it’s just pitching again from there. It was definitely fun.”
In his last outing against the Reds on Aug. 27, 2013, Kelly held Cincinnati to eight hits and one earned run over six innings. In three career appearances (one start) against the Reds, Kelly is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA.
Latos has looked strong after missing most of the first half of the season with a flexor strain, posting a 4-3 record with a 3.12 ERA and a 0.95 WHIP in 10 starts this year.
In his last start Wednesday against the Indians, the 6-foot-6 righty gave up three runs off of six hits over 7 2/3 innings of work in what was an eventual 8-3 Reds victory.
“A lot of what helped today was a lot of strike one’s for me,” Latos said after the game. “[I tried to] pound the zone down and keep it down, and getting strike one and going from there.”
Latos’ only career appearance against Boston was on June 21, 2011, when the then-Padres pitcher gave up 10 hits and four earned runs in 5 2/3 innings.
Red Sox vs. Latos (RHP)
Kelly Johnson (9 plate appearances): .000/.111/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia has one single and three walks in four plate appearances against Latos.
Yoenis Cespedes has one walk in three plate appearances against Latos.
Brock Holt (3): .000/.000/.000
Joe Kelly (3): .000/.000/.000
David Ortiz has one strikeout in three plate appearances against Latos.
Reds vs. Kelly (RHP)
Jay Bruce has one double and one walk in six plate appearances against Kelly.
Zack Cozart (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 single, 1 walk
Todd Frazier has three singles and one RBI in five plate appearances against Kelly.
Mat Latos has two singles and two strikeouts in five plate appearances against Kelly.
Ryan Ludwick (5): .000/.000/.000
Devin Mesoraco has one strikeout in three plate appearances against Kelly.
Brayan Pena (2): .000/.000/.000
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again