Red Sox pregame notes: Alex Wilson back up; Brandon Workman to return to rotation
|08.14.14 at 7:40 pm ET|
Anthony Ranaudo has won both of his big league starts. His reward on both occasions? An immediate demotion back to Triple-A.
Ranaudo, who claimed a victory with six innings in the Sox’ 5-4 win in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was optioned to the PawSox following the contest. In his place, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson, who has a 3.38 ERA in three big league games (and four call-ups) this year, with righties having gone just 1-for-10 against him. Wilson has a 4.35 ERA in Pawtucket, including a 2.33 mark over his last 19 1/3 innings.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ranaudo being sent down, Brandon Workman is slated to rejoin the Red Sox rotation after having his Wednesday start skipped in favor of his fellow member of the draft class of 2010.
— John Farrell took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and research funds for ALS. He, in turn, challenged a notable pair of peers to join him in the undertaking, one of whom might freeze to death if he accepts:
— Allen Craig was slated to take batting practice prior to Thursday’s game, with catcher David Ross in line to catch bullpens in the coming days. Craig could head to Pawtucket on a rehab assignment in the coming days, while the team has yet to decide whether Ross will have a rehab assignment before being activated.
— Ryan Lavarnway was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s been on a rehab assignment since July 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot