Red Sox pregame notes: Alex Wilson back up; Brandon Workman to return to rotation
|08.14.14 at 7:40 pm ET|
Anthony Ranaudo has won both of his big league starts. His reward on both occasions? An immediate demotion back to Triple-A.
Ranaudo, who claimed a victory with six innings in the Sox’ 5-4 win in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was optioned to the PawSox following the contest. In his place, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson, who has a 3.38 ERA in three big league games (and four call-ups) this year, with righties having gone just 1-for-10 against him. Wilson has a 4.35 ERA in Pawtucket, including a 2.33 mark over his last 19 1/3 innings.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ranaudo being sent down, Brandon Workman is slated to rejoin the Red Sox rotation after having his Wednesday start skipped in favor of his fellow member of the draft class of 2010.
— John Farrell took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and research funds for ALS. He, in turn, challenged a notable pair of peers to join him in the undertaking, one of whom might freeze to death if he accepts:
— Allen Craig was slated to take batting practice prior to Thursday’s game, with catcher David Ross in line to catch bullpens in the coming days. Craig could head to Pawtucket on a rehab assignment in the coming days, while the team has yet to decide whether Ross will have a rehab assignment before being activated.
— Ryan Lavarnway was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s been on a rehab assignment since July 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler