Red Sox pregame notes: Alex Wilson back up; Brandon Workman to return to rotation
|08.14.14 at 7:40 pm ET|
Anthony Ranaudo has won both of his big league starts. His reward on both occasions? An immediate demotion back to Triple-A.
Ranaudo, who claimed a victory with six innings in the Sox’ 5-4 win in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was optioned to the PawSox following the contest. In his place, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson, who has a 3.38 ERA in three big league games (and four call-ups) this year, with righties having gone just 1-for-10 against him. Wilson has a 4.35 ERA in Pawtucket, including a 2.33 mark over his last 19 1/3 innings.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ranaudo being sent down, Brandon Workman is slated to rejoin the Red Sox rotation after having his Wednesday start skipped in favor of his fellow member of the draft class of 2010.
— John Farrell took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and research funds for ALS. He, in turn, challenged a notable pair of peers to join him in the undertaking, one of whom might freeze to death if he accepts:
— Allen Craig was slated to take batting practice prior to Thursday’s game, with catcher David Ross in line to catch bullpens in the coming days. Craig could head to Pawtucket on a rehab assignment in the coming days, while the team has yet to decide whether Ross will have a rehab assignment before being activated.
— Ryan Lavarnway was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s been on a rehab assignment since July 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night