Red Sox pregame notes: Alex Wilson back up; Brandon Workman to return to rotation
|08.14.14 at 7:40 pm ET|
Anthony Ranaudo has won both of his big league starts. His reward on both occasions? An immediate demotion back to Triple-A.
Ranaudo, who claimed a victory with six innings in the Sox’ 5-4 win in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was optioned to the PawSox following the contest. In his place, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson, who has a 3.38 ERA in three big league games (and four call-ups) this year, with righties having gone just 1-for-10 against him. Wilson has a 4.35 ERA in Pawtucket, including a 2.33 mark over his last 19 1/3 innings.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ranaudo being sent down, Brandon Workman is slated to rejoin the Red Sox rotation after having his Wednesday start skipped in favor of his fellow member of the draft class of 2010.
— John Farrell took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and research funds for ALS. He, in turn, challenged a notable pair of peers to join him in the undertaking, one of whom might freeze to death if he accepts:
— Allen Craig was slated to take batting practice prior to Thursday’s game, with catcher David Ross in line to catch bullpens in the coming days. Craig could head to Pawtucket on a rehab assignment in the coming days, while the team has yet to decide whether Ross will have a rehab assignment before being activated.
— Ryan Lavarnway was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s been on a rehab assignment since July 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp