Red Sox pregame notes: Alex Wilson back up; Brandon Workman to return to rotation
|08.14.14 at 7:40 pm ET|
Anthony Ranaudo has won both of his big league starts. His reward on both occasions? An immediate demotion back to Triple-A.
Ranaudo, who claimed a victory with six innings in the Sox’ 5-4 win in Cincinnati on Wednesday, was optioned to the PawSox following the contest. In his place, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson, who has a 3.38 ERA in three big league games (and four call-ups) this year, with righties having gone just 1-for-10 against him. Wilson has a 4.35 ERA in Pawtucket, including a 2.33 mark over his last 19 1/3 innings.
OTHER RED SOX NOTES
— With Ranaudo being sent down, Brandon Workman is slated to rejoin the Red Sox rotation after having his Wednesday start skipped in favor of his fellow member of the draft class of 2010.
— John Farrell took part in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness and research funds for ALS. He, in turn, challenged a notable pair of peers to join him in the undertaking, one of whom might freeze to death if he accepts:
— Allen Craig was slated to take batting practice prior to Thursday’s game, with catcher David Ross in line to catch bullpens in the coming days. Craig could head to Pawtucket on a rehab assignment in the coming days, while the team has yet to decide whether Ross will have a rehab assignment before being activated.
— Ryan Lavarnway was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s been on a rehab assignment since July 25.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot