David Ortiz launches 400th (and 401st) homer of Red Sox career
|08.16.14 at 9:22 pm ET|
David Ortiz jumped on an 0-2 hanging changeup from Astros starter Brad Peacock in the bottom of the third inning of Saturday’s game, sending a cloud-scraper just over the wall in straightaway center field for the 27th homer of the 2014 season and the 400th of his Red Sox career. Ortiz is the third player ever to reach that landmark with the Sox, joining Ted Williams (521) and Carl Yastrzemski (452).
Here is the milestone blast.
Evidently unsatisfied with reaching 400 homers with the Sox, Ortiz launched his 401st homer in the bottom of the fifth against Peacock, fouling off a pair of 2-2 fastballs away before smoking a poorly located slider over the right field fence. He is currently on pace for 37 homers, which would be his highest total since he mashed a Red Sox-record 54 in 2006.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins