David Ortiz launches 400th (and 401st) homer of Red Sox career
|08.16.14 at 9:22 pm ET|
David Ortiz jumped on an 0-2 hanging changeup from Astros starter Brad Peacock in the bottom of the third inning of Saturday’s game, sending a cloud-scraper just over the wall in straightaway center field for the 27th homer of the 2014 season and the 400th of his Red Sox career. Ortiz is the third player ever to reach that landmark with the Sox, joining Ted Williams (521) and Carl Yastrzemski (452).
Here is the milestone blast.
Evidently unsatisfied with reaching 400 homers with the Sox, Ortiz launched his 401st homer in the bottom of the fifth against Peacock, fouling off a pair of 2-2 fastballs away before smoking a poorly located slider over the right field fence. He is currently on pace for 37 homers, which would be his highest total since he mashed a Red Sox-record 54 in 2006.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven