Red Sox pregame notes: Allen Craig to start rehab assignment in Pawtucket Monday; David Ross to be activated early next week
|08.16.14 at 5:39 pm ET|
It’s been over two weeks since Allen Craig made his Red Sox debut. But at this point, it’s easy to forget just how long he’s been in Boston.
That’s about to change very soon.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Saturday the outfielder will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket on Monday, and both sides are eyeing a three-day trip with the minor league club before making his return.
“We’ve mapped out probably three days, but to say that all of those are going to be needed is to be determined,” Farrell said. “He’s in agreement that there needs to be some at-bats had. Whether that’s four, whether that’s eight, we’ll cross that as we get through it.”
Craig, who the Red Sox acquired from the Cardinals at the July 31 trade deadline with Joe Kelly in exchange for John Lackey, injured his ankle during the final at-bat of his Aug. 1 Red Sox debut. He was placed on the disabled list four days later.
— Another player close to his return is catcher David Ross.
Ross, who has been out since Aug. 2 with a plantar fascia tear, will be activated either Monday or Tuesday, according to Farrell, and will not require a rehab stint.
Farrell said before Saturday’s game that Pedroia still has some soreness, but that the injury shouldn’t slow the second baseman down.
“He’s still a little sore, but not to the point of keeping him out of the lineup,” Farrell said. “He did a lot of icing on it even after he left the ball park here last night. He was able to produce and limit the swelling that was in there. The Fluoroscan that was taken after the game last night was negative. Everything — strength tests, or any kind of situation to try to reproduce some of the symptoms — are not there, so he’s cleared to play.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg