Saturday’s Red Sox-Astros matchups: Rubby De La Rosa vs. Brad Peacock
|08.16.14 at 3:05 pm ET|
The Red Sox play the third game of their four-game series against the Astros on Saturday night when they send Rubby De La Rosa to the mound against Brad Peacock.
De La Rosa (4-4, 3.21 ERA) is on a streak of three straight quality starts after an exceptional performance against the Angels last Sunday. The right-hander pitched into the eighth inning the day after the Sox exhausted their bullpen in a 19-inning marathon, and remained strong deep into the game. De La Rosa’s only run allowed came on a leadoff home run by Mike Trout that ended his outing. He scattered five hits, walked three and struck out eight for the win.
After getting torched for seven runs over four innings in Toronto on July 24, De La Rosa appears to have turned the corner, allowing five runs in his last 19 innings. Most importantly, he’s finally shown he can pitch away from Fenway, posting a 1.38 ERA in his last two starts on the road.
De La Rosa should enjoy being back at home, however. The 25-year-old is 3-1 with a 1.97 ERA in five starts at Fenway this season. He hasn’t faced the Astros since a scoreless inning of relief in Houston last season in which he struck out two. De La Rosa is 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in three appearances (one start) against the Astros, with the first two appearances coming in 2011.
After giving up 15 combined runs in consecutive starts, Peacock (3-8, 5.25 ERA) bounced back nicely in his start against the Twins on Monday. The righty gave up two runs (one earned) on seven hits over five innings in a no-decision. He walked one and struck out five.
“When you look at the pitch count, after that first inning you didn’t think he’s made it through five,” Astros manager Bo Porter said after the game. “He found a way to make it through five innings. It was better command, but at the same time it was a lot of deep counts. There was some high leverage to those innings as well.”
Saturday will be Peacock’s second start against the Red Sox this season. If this upcoming start is anything like the last, it’ll be good news for the Red Sox. The 26-year-old got just one batter out before being pulled from the game, forcing the Astros to use five relievers in an 11-0 loss.
Peacock gave up two hits, a walk and a run on a leadoff homer to Brock Holt. He threw 27 pitches for the game. He’s 0-2 with a 14.73 ERA in two career starts against the Red Sox.
Astros vs. De La Rosa (RHP)
Dexter Fowler (4 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.500 OBP/.333 SLG, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Carlos Corporan (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jose Altuve and Marc Krauss are both hitless in their lone plate appearances.
Red Sox vs. Peacock (RHP)
Yoenis Cespedes (10 plate appearamces): .333 AVG/.400 OBP/1.000 SLG, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 walk 4 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (4): .333/.500/.667, 1 double
Dustin Pedroia (4): .667/.750/.667, 1 walk
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): 1.000/1.000/1.500, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Will Middlebrooks is 1-for-2 with a double in two plate appearances.
Brock Holt homered in his lone plate appearance.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016