Ben Cherington: ‘For the right player, of course we would consider trading prospects’
|08.19.14 at 6:42 pm ET|
There may be 37 games remaining on the schedule this year, but for a Red Sox squad that’s 15 1/2 games out of first place in the AL East, it’s already time to look forward to the offseason.
Possessing both a deep farm system and a multitude of talented players at the major-league level, the Red Sox certainly have the means and resources to orchestrate a quick rebuild this winter, possibly by contemplating landmark trades with other clubs.
For Boston general manager Ben Cherington, the offseason provides a multitude of avenues for the team to take en route to constructing a winning team in 2015, but he added that parting ways with some of the organization’s blue-chip prospects would only become a tangible scenario if the right offer presents itself.
“I don’t think we’ve ever been unwilling to trade prospects. … For the right player, of course we would consider trading prospects,” Cherington said. “Clearly, there’s some areas that we’d like to add to this offseason. We have to figure out what makes the most sense – whether that’s trying to add through free agency, trades. … There’s definitely times when a trade makes more sense than free agency, and there’s times when it’s vice-versa.”
One of the first prizes of the offseason may be claimed by the end of the week, as Cuban defector Rusney Castillo is reportedly “moving rapidly” towards a decision on signing with a team.
While he would not discuss Boston’s evaluation of Castillo, Cherington did acknowledge that the Red Sox have been one of several teams that have established an open dialogue with the intriguing outfielder.
Said Cherington: “There’s obviously been attention on this, he’s a player that we’ve seen and have talked to, but we’re just one of several teams that have done that, so there’s nothing more I can say about that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin