Ben Cherington: ‘For the right player, of course we would consider trading prospects’
|08.19.14 at 6:42 pm ET|
There may be 37 games remaining on the schedule this year, but for a Red Sox squad that’s 15 1/2 games out of first place in the AL East, it’s already time to look forward to the offseason.
Possessing both a deep farm system and a multitude of talented players at the major-league level, the Red Sox certainly have the means and resources to orchestrate a quick rebuild this winter, possibly by contemplating landmark trades with other clubs.
For Boston general manager Ben Cherington, the offseason provides a multitude of avenues for the team to take en route to constructing a winning team in 2015, but he added that parting ways with some of the organization’s blue-chip prospects would only become a tangible scenario if the right offer presents itself.
“I don’t think we’ve ever been unwilling to trade prospects. … For the right player, of course we would consider trading prospects,” Cherington said. “Clearly, there’s some areas that we’d like to add to this offseason. We have to figure out what makes the most sense – whether that’s trying to add through free agency, trades. … There’s definitely times when a trade makes more sense than free agency, and there’s times when it’s vice-versa.”
One of the first prizes of the offseason may be claimed by the end of the week, as Cuban defector Rusney Castillo is reportedly “moving rapidly” towards a decision on signing with a team.
While he would not discuss Boston’s evaluation of Castillo, Cherington did acknowledge that the Red Sox have been one of several teams that have established an open dialogue with the intriguing outfielder.
Said Cherington: “There’s obviously been attention on this, he’s a player that we’ve seen and have talked to, but we’re just one of several teams that have done that, so there’s nothing more I can say about that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016