Tuesday’s Red Sox-Angels matchups: Allen Webster vs. Jered Weaver
|08.19.14 at 9:50 am ET|
After turning in a dismal six-walk start over 2 2/3 innings on Aug. 2, Webster (3-1, 4.79 ERA) rebounded by winning his last two starts, surrendering five earned runs over his last 12 2/3 innings (3.55 ERA).
The 24-year-old righty was solid in his last outing Thursday against the Astros, giving up four runs (three earned) over six innings while striking out two en route to a 9-4 Red Sox win.
“We’re seeing some small gains here,” manager John Farrell said after the game. “When you compare it to two starts ago, where things might’ve gotten away from him a little bit … he did bend today, but he didn’t break. That was an encouraging sign. I think more than anything, he’ll wake up tomorrow knowing there’s another win next to his name. Hopefully that’s added confidence along the way.”
While Webster may have improved over his last few starts, he has struggled at Fenway this season, compiling a 7.27 ERA in two home appearances.
Tuesday will stand as Webster’s second career start against the Angels. In his last appearance against Los Angeles on Aug. 8, Webster gave up two runs over 6 2/3 innings of work.
Weaver (14-7, 3.66 ERA) battled in his last start Wednesday against the Phillies, surrendering eight hits and walking two over six innings but only giving up two runs in what was a 4-3 Angels win.
“With the bullpen we’ve got, quality starts from a starting pitcher are pretty key,” Weaver said. “If you can limit these guys to three runs or less in six innings, we’ve got those guys coming in behind us doing a heck of a job. I’m just trying to keep us in it. This offense is going to break through one of these days.”
Weaver has been serviceable since leaving a game on July 7 with back tightness, posting a 4.09 ERA over his last seven starts — five of which have been quality outings.
During his last appearance against the Red Sox on Aug. 8, Weaver allowed four runs over six innings of work in what was a 4-2 Boston win. In 15 career starts against the Red Sox, Weaver is 4-6 with a 4.11 ERA.
Angels vs. Webster (RHP)
Erick Aybar (3 plate appearances): .000/.000/.000
Kole Calhoun has two singles in three plate appearances against Webster.
David Freese (3): .000/.333/.000
Josh Hamilton (3): .000/.333/.000
Chris Iannetta has one double in three plate appearances against Webster.
Howie Kendrick has one single and one strikeout in three plate appearances against Webster.
Efren Navarro has one walk in three plate appearances against Webster.
Albert Pujols has one walk and one strikeout in three plate appearances against Webster.
Mike Trout has one strikeout and one RBI in three plate appearances against Webster.
Red Sox vs. Weaver (RHP)
David Ortiz (39): .286/.333/.514, 2 home runs, 9 RBIs
Mike Napoli (34): .345/.441/.724, 2 doubles, 3 home runs
Dustin Pedroia (33): .226/.273/.290, 2 doubles, 7 strikeouts
Yoenis Cespedes (14): .308/.357/.462, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs
Brock Holt (6): .500/.667/.500, 2 singles, 2 walks
Daniel Nava has one single in six plate appearances against Weaver.
Xander Bogaerts (3): .000/.000/.000
Kelly Johnson has one single and one strikeout in three plate appearances against Weaver.
Will Middlebrooks has one single in three plate appearances against Weaver.
Christian Vazquez has one double in three plate appearances against Weaver.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins