Will Middlebrooks day-to-day after exiting with hamstring tightness
|08.19.14 at 9:34 pm ET|
Will Middlebrooks exited Tuesday night’s game against the Angels with what the Red Sox described as right hamstring tightness, one batter after he’d appeared to pull up lame after beating out an infield single against Angels starter Jered Weaver. Though he stayed in the game for a batter (a Xander Bogaerts strikeout), he was then visited by a team trainer and manager John Farrell. He walked off the field under his own power.
“Don’t know the extent of it. Certainly he’s day-to-day at this point,” Farrell said after the game. “He strained it on that infield base hit, and then when he was leading off coming back to second base in that next at-bat, it looked like it grabbed him again. Got him out of there precautionary. It’s day-to-day right now.”
Middlebrooks has already been on the disabled list twice this year, once for a calf strain in April and again for a fractured finger suffered in May. The 25-year-old has been on the field for just 35 big league games this year, hitting .188 with a .275 OBP and .282 slugging mark.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs