Sources: Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo nearing decision on Red Sox, others
|08.20.14 at 10:13 am ET|
According to major league sources, Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo is expected to decide which major league offer he will be accepting in the next few days (by the end of the week).
The Red Sox are one of the teams to have made strong bids for Castillo, whom they held a private workout for Aug. 1.
One of the unique dynamics when it comes to guessing a landing spot for the 27-year-old — who has accepted blind bids from teams — is the lack of information from the baseball world. With most free agents, the players have relationships with a variety of people throughout baseball, leading to ideas regarding where he might be leaning toward. With the Cuban defectors, no such avenues are in play, resulting in quite a bit of guess-work.
Red Sox outfielder Yoenis Cespedes told WEEI.com that he has not recently spoken to his former Cuban teammate.
While some have suggested Castillo might be better served easing into his career as a minor-leaguer, that scenario isn’t likely. Considering his age, and his experience in Cuba, the thought among those committing to the outfielder is that he is ready to contribute to the majors right now.
Many of the teams involved are eyeing Castillo to be a contributor for a postseason run, hence the importance of adding him to rosters before the Sept. 1 cut-off for playoff eligibility.
“He’s a player we’ve seen and we’ve talked to, but we’re just one of several teams that have done that,” Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said Tuesday at Fenway Park. “There’s nothing more I can say.”
Speaking to WEEI.com, Cespedes said of Castillo, “If he’s not a five-tool player, he’s a least a four-tool player. He’s very comparable to [Dodgers outfielder Yasiel] Puig. Obviously a different height and size, but very similar qualities.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers