David Ortiz thought his foot was broken (but it’s not)
|08.25.14 at 4:24 pm ET|
TORONTO — Even thought David Ortiz was still hobbling around the visiting clubhouse at Rogers Centre Monday — sitting out of the starting lineup in the Red Sox‘ series opener against the Blue Jays — the designated hitter felt he dodged a bullet.
Ortiz feared the worst after fouling a ball off his right foot during the fourth inning of the Red Sox’ loss Sunday afternoon.
There were no broken bones, just a lot of pain (and inflammation).
“It was not good. I thought I broke something, or something like that,” Ortiz explained. “This morning I got up, I had breakfast, took some anti-inflammatories and went back to sleep. Four hours later the swelling was reduced a little bit. If it happens tomorrow I might be able to play if I’m not hurting as bad as I am right now.
“I can’t put much weight on yet. Yesterday, my last at-bat, I took a swing and missed and it didn’t feel right. Then once I hit I tried to take off running and you guys saw what happened. It should have been a double but I couldn’t get it done. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’s better tomorrow and if I’m able to run I’ll play.”
Ortiz explained that foul ball might have been the most painful he had incurred throughout his career.
“Yeah, I think I got away with [stuff] right there. It is what it is,” he said. “The ball that I hit yesterday off my foot ‘¦ I hit balls off my foot ball the time, but I think that was the worst I’ve ever hit a ball off my foot. I went straight to the ground. It was a pitch that was cutting in. It seemed like the same velocity coming in was the same velocity going at my foot. That’s why I say I got away with something, not having anything broken.”
Mike Napoli takes Ortiz’ spot at designated hitter, with Allen Craig filling in at first base.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins