David Ortiz thought his foot was broken (but it’s not)
|08.25.14 at 4:24 pm ET|
TORONTO — Even thought David Ortiz was still hobbling around the visiting clubhouse at Rogers Centre Monday — sitting out of the starting lineup in the Red Sox‘ series opener against the Blue Jays — the designated hitter felt he dodged a bullet.
Ortiz feared the worst after fouling a ball off his right foot during the fourth inning of the Red Sox’ loss Sunday afternoon.
There were no broken bones, just a lot of pain (and inflammation).
“It was not good. I thought I broke something, or something like that,” Ortiz explained. “This morning I got up, I had breakfast, took some anti-inflammatories and went back to sleep. Four hours later the swelling was reduced a little bit. If it happens tomorrow I might be able to play if I’m not hurting as bad as I am right now.
“I can’t put much weight on yet. Yesterday, my last at-bat, I took a swing and missed and it didn’t feel right. Then once I hit I tried to take off running and you guys saw what happened. It should have been a double but I couldn’t get it done. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’s better tomorrow and if I’m able to run I’ll play.”
Ortiz explained that foul ball might have been the most painful he had incurred throughout his career.
“Yeah, I think I got away with [stuff] right there. It is what it is,” he said. “The ball that I hit yesterday off my foot ‘¦ I hit balls off my foot ball the time, but I think that was the worst I’ve ever hit a ball off my foot. I went straight to the ground. It was a pitch that was cutting in. It seemed like the same velocity coming in was the same velocity going at my foot. That’s why I say I got away with something, not having anything broken.”
Mike Napoli takes Ortiz’ spot at designated hitter, with Allen Craig filling in at first base.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?