David Ortiz thought his foot was broken (but it’s not)
|08.25.14 at 4:24 pm ET|
TORONTO — Even thought David Ortiz was still hobbling around the visiting clubhouse at Rogers Centre Monday — sitting out of the starting lineup in the Red Sox‘ series opener against the Blue Jays — the designated hitter felt he dodged a bullet.
Ortiz feared the worst after fouling a ball off his right foot during the fourth inning of the Red Sox’ loss Sunday afternoon.
There were no broken bones, just a lot of pain (and inflammation).
“It was not good. I thought I broke something, or something like that,” Ortiz explained. “This morning I got up, I had breakfast, took some anti-inflammatories and went back to sleep. Four hours later the swelling was reduced a little bit. If it happens tomorrow I might be able to play if I’m not hurting as bad as I am right now.
“I can’t put much weight on yet. Yesterday, my last at-bat, I took a swing and missed and it didn’t feel right. Then once I hit I tried to take off running and you guys saw what happened. It should have been a double but I couldn’t get it done. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’s better tomorrow and if I’m able to run I’ll play.”
Ortiz explained that foul ball might have been the most painful he had incurred throughout his career.
“Yeah, I think I got away with [stuff] right there. It is what it is,” he said. “The ball that I hit yesterday off my foot ‘¦ I hit balls off my foot ball the time, but I think that was the worst I’ve ever hit a ball off my foot. I went straight to the ground. It was a pitch that was cutting in. It seemed like the same velocity coming in was the same velocity going at my foot. That’s why I say I got away with something, not having anything broken.”
Mike Napoli takes Ortiz’ spot at designated hitter, with Allen Craig filling in at first base.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Edwin Escobar impresses with dazzling playoff performance
- Cup of Coffee: Extra inning victories kick off playoff action
- The Write-Up: Brandon Workman
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop two in Championship Series
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card