Wednesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Joe Kelly vs. Marcus Stroman
|08.27.14 at 11:44 am ET|
Kelly (0-1, 4.09 ERA) is looking for his first win in his fifth start with the Sox since being acquired from the Cardinals on July 31. He pitched five scoreless innings in his last start, allowing just one hit, but he left the game after 86 pitches due to a shoulder concern, and Sox closer Koji Uehara proceeded to implode in the ninth inning of a 5-3 loss to the Mariners.
The Sox medical staff checked out Kelly after removing him and found nothing to prevent him from taking the ball for his next scheduled start.
“Joe came in and felt no ill effects from [Friday] night after a battery of tests that he went through after the game that didn’t reproduce any of the symptoms,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said the day after. “It was followed up with him feeling well [Saturday] morning and he’s on target to start in five days.”
Stroman (7-5, 4.11 ERA) held the Red Sox to one run over 14 innings in back-to-back wins for the rookie on July 24 and 29. The Duke product has struggled since then, however, going 0-3 with an 8.66 ERA in four starts.
In his most recent outing, Friday against the Rays, Stroman gave up six runs on a season-high 10 hits with three walks in five innings of an 8-0 loss. Despite pitching on six days’ rest, Stroman saw his winless streak reach four starts.
“It’s extremely frustrating,” he said afterward. “I couldn’t keep my team in it today to get a win.”
The 23-year-old — who at 5-foot-9 is one of the game’s shortest pitchers — has 20 games of major league experience, all coming this season.
Stroman hails from Medford, New York, and is a former winner of the Carl Yastrzemski Award, an honor that goes to the top high school player in New York’s Suffolk County (where the Red Sox legend grew up). In three seasons at Duke he went 15-13 with a 3.27 ERA and set the school’s career strikeout record with 290 (in 220 innings). He also played outfield for the Blue Devils, hitting .252 in 301 at-bats. He became Duke’s first-ever first-round draft pick when he was selected 22nd overall by Toronto in 2012.
Stroman was handed a 50-game suspension on Aug. 28, 2012, while pitching for the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats. He had tested positive for methylhexanimine, a banned stimulant that was in an over-the-counter training supplement he said purchased without being aware.
Red Sox vs. Marcus Stroman (RHP)
Brock Holt (7 plate appearances): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 4 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 strikeout
Kelly Johnson (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double
Christian Vazquez (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Yoenis Cespedes (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Allen Craig (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI
Blue Jays vs. Joe Kelly (RHP)
Jose Reyes (6): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Melky Cabrera (3): .667/.667/.1.000, 1 double
Juan Francisco and Dioner Navarro each are 0-for-1 against Kelly.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven