John Henry: Missing on Jose Abreu pushed Rusney Castillo offer
|08.29.14 at 11:57 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — In an email exchange, Red Sox principal owner John Henry shed some light on the Red Sox’ aggressive bidding for Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo.
When asked if the Red Sox missing out on White Sox slugger Jose Abreu by a mere $5 million when bidding for the first baseman last year led to surprisingly high offer of seven years, $72.5 million for Castillo, Henry wrote: “Yes, the financial aspects were impacted by coming close on Abreu. The White Sox did their homework.”
Abreu, who went on to sign a six-year, $68 million deal with Chicago, has 33 home runs with a major league-best .969 OPS.
In response to the question how much Henry familiarized himself with Castillo’s game, the owner wrote, “All evaluation was done by Ben and baseball ops,” (referencing Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington.)
Castillo is slated to play his first professional game for the Red Sox Gulf Coast League team Sunday in Fort Myers.
“He’s going to get his first game action on Sunday in Fort Myers and likely to be three innings,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell following his team’s 8-4 win over the Rays, Friday night. “We want him to go through another day of work tomorrow and that will set him up for his first activity on Sunday.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles