Xander Bogarts ready to return to Red Sox starting lineup
|08.29.14 at 8:25 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Xander Bogaerts is ready to return.
The Red Sox shortstop — who had been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list after being hit in the head with a Felix Hernandez change-up Aug. 22 — is scheduled to return to the team’s starting lineup, Saturday.
“I really didn’t have too many symptoms,” Bogaerts said prior to Friday night’s game at Tropicana Field. “The only symptom I pretty much had was tiredness ‘ like sleepy. Everything I did, I would just get sleepy. Maybe that’s because I wasn’t doing any baseball activities. Maybe it could have been the symptoms, too. The sleepiness is all I kind of got. No headaches, no anything like that.
“I took all my tests, I did pretty good. I didn’t have any problems with memory or focus, just a little bit of tiredness.”
Bogaerts said he adhered to doctor’s orders and refrained from much activity, letting the symptoms subside.
“Yeah, I just stayed at home and rested like the doctors said,” said Bogaerts, who wasn’t with the team during its series in Toronto. “I watched the games. That’s all I did. Obviously I couldn’t play or do any baseball activities, so I just tried to relax.”
Prior to his hiatus, Bogaerts was in the midst of a significant slump, having one hit in his last 23 at-bats. In 118 games this season, the shortstop is hitting .227 with a .627 OPS.
“Hopefully it benefits me,” he said of the time off. “I got some rest — rest that I needed. Ill try to finish the season strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston