Xander Bogarts ready to return to Red Sox starting lineup
|08.29.14 at 8:25 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Xander Bogaerts is ready to return.
The Red Sox shortstop — who had been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list after being hit in the head with a Felix Hernandez change-up Aug. 22 — is scheduled to return to the team’s starting lineup, Saturday.
“I really didn’t have too many symptoms,” Bogaerts said prior to Friday night’s game at Tropicana Field. “The only symptom I pretty much had was tiredness ‘ like sleepy. Everything I did, I would just get sleepy. Maybe that’s because I wasn’t doing any baseball activities. Maybe it could have been the symptoms, too. The sleepiness is all I kind of got. No headaches, no anything like that.
“I took all my tests, I did pretty good. I didn’t have any problems with memory or focus, just a little bit of tiredness.”
Bogaerts said he adhered to doctor’s orders and refrained from much activity, letting the symptoms subside.
“Yeah, I just stayed at home and rested like the doctors said,” said Bogaerts, who wasn’t with the team during its series in Toronto. “I watched the games. That’s all I did. Obviously I couldn’t play or do any baseball activities, so I just tried to relax.”
Prior to his hiatus, Bogaerts was in the midst of a significant slump, having one hit in his last 23 at-bats. In 118 games this season, the shortstop is hitting .227 with a .627 OPS.
“Hopefully it benefits me,” he said of the time off. “I got some rest — rest that I needed. Ill try to finish the season strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando