Xander Bogarts ready to return to Red Sox starting lineup
|08.29.14 at 8:25 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Xander Bogaerts is ready to return.
The Red Sox shortstop — who had been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list after being hit in the head with a Felix Hernandez change-up Aug. 22 — is scheduled to return to the team’s starting lineup, Saturday.
“I really didn’t have too many symptoms,” Bogaerts said prior to Friday night’s game at Tropicana Field. “The only symptom I pretty much had was tiredness ‘ like sleepy. Everything I did, I would just get sleepy. Maybe that’s because I wasn’t doing any baseball activities. Maybe it could have been the symptoms, too. The sleepiness is all I kind of got. No headaches, no anything like that.
“I took all my tests, I did pretty good. I didn’t have any problems with memory or focus, just a little bit of tiredness.”
Bogaerts said he adhered to doctor’s orders and refrained from much activity, letting the symptoms subside.
“Yeah, I just stayed at home and rested like the doctors said,” said Bogaerts, who wasn’t with the team during its series in Toronto. “I watched the games. That’s all I did. Obviously I couldn’t play or do any baseball activities, so I just tried to relax.”
Prior to his hiatus, Bogaerts was in the midst of a significant slump, having one hit in his last 23 at-bats. In 118 games this season, the shortstop is hitting .227 with a .627 OPS.
“Hopefully it benefits me,” he said of the time off. “I got some rest — rest that I needed. Ill try to finish the season strong.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland