Dustin Pedroia experiences concussion-like symptoms after leaving game
|08.30.14 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia left Saturday night’s game against the Rays in the second inning after being hit in the left side of the head by a swinging elbow from Tampa Bay baserunner Logan Forsythe.
Pedroia had just gathered in the throw from center fielder Mookie Betts when he lunged to tag Forsythe, who was tagging up from first on a fly ball to deep center field. The Rays baserunner slid head first, swinging his right arm around and striking Pedroia just below his cap.
After calling time, Pedroia immediately slumped face down on the ground, leading to Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Brad Pearson sprinting onto the field. After a consultation with Pearson, the second baseman was led off the field.
Following the Red Sox‘ 7-0 loss to the Rays, Farrell said that Pedroia was experiencing concussion-like symptoms.
“The head-first slide, Pedey’s coming in to try to put a quick tag on him,” Farrell said. “Momentum looked like Forsythe’s slide, he struck him with his elbow. That was clear. It looked like the momentum took him across the bag. He’s reaching out ahead of him to try to brace himself and not slide past the bag, and as he’s reaching forward he caught him with a good elbow to the left side of the head.
“He’s got some symptoms that are consistent with a concussion. He’s improved as the game has gone on … Not as dizzy as he was when he first came off. But we’ll take every precaution necessary with Dustin.”
After the game, Forsythe was adamant there was nothing intentional about the blow to the head.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “I’m definitely not that kind of player, and the only move that I made was to try to swim-move the tag to get out of the way. It was a bang-bang play, and you know the way he came down, too. It was just a hard play.”
Brock Holt moved over from third base, replacing Pedroia at second, with Will Middlebrooks coming in to play third.
The Red Sox trailed 3-0 at the time of Pedroia’s departure.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced