Clay Buchholz (98 pitches) throws 3-hit shutout, Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts provide spark in win
|08.31.14 at 4:33 pm ET|
The right-hander held the Rays to three hits and recorded his second shutout of 2014 — and second complete game — in a 3-0 Red Sox win over the Rays at Tropicana Field. Buchholz, coming off a strong 8 1/3-inning effort last Monday in Toronto, followed it up Sunday by striking out six and walking none in arguably his best effort of the season.
Buchholz, who retired the final 12 batters he faced, needed just 98 pitches for his sixth career shutout.
It’s been a schizophrenic season for Buchholz, who improved to 6-8 with a 5.43 ERA.
The Red Sox suddenly have found their way on the road, winning two out of three in Toronto and following it up by winning two of three as part of the four-game series at Tampa Bay. The series wraps up Monday afternoon at Tropicana Field.
Supporting Buchholz Sunday was rookie center fielder Mookie Betts, who went 2-for-4 and drove in a run, while Xander Bogaerts also had two hits in his second game back from the seven-day disabled list due to a concussion.
Betts and Bogaerts each doubled while Christian Vazquez singled in the first run in the third inning. Betts singled home Brock Holt in the fifth and David Ortiz singled home Betts in the eighth for insurance and to conclude the scoring on the day.
The Red Sox played the game without second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who received the day off after taking a forearm to the head early in Saturday night’s game. Pedroia still is going through the concussion testing protocol and won’t need to go on the disabled list as rosters expand to 40 players on Monday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players